Where's the winny I used to love and know?

General discussion about *music* in Western New York.

Moderator: Admin Team

drummerman

Re: Where's the winny I used to love and know?

Postby drummerman » March 24th, 2014, 11:09am

I personally don't wish it to die......
I think this site and the music awards are a good example of how this city wants to have a great music scene, problem is, nobody takes it seriously. We HAVE to start working together, and support one another for it to work. We are all out there trying to do the same thing, whether it be original or cover, doesn't matter. We play because we love to play. Who's to say which way is right or wrong, as long as it's right for you.
I often wonder how many other cities out there actually care enough to do a city wide music award.
We have so many good ideas in the town, but everyone just makes a huge mockery out of it.
This site to me is such a great idea, but poorly executed. How awesome that we all have a place to go and promote what it is that we feel is important, again the problem is, that most of it gets mocked and turned into a huge joke. It's sad to me in a way because I really want it to work. This community is known for helping each other, and it shouldn't stop when it comes to our music. We have some seriously talented people around here, and we need to support that.
I'm always going out and supporting other bands and musicians, and I'm a part of a band that prides itself in promoting others music when we arent playing. We also invite other musicians in to either play some tumes and at times the whole evening with us. It helps get the word out. I'm incredibily proud to be a part of that, and this site should be the place where that starts. IMO of course!
Drummerman

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Postby sevenyearsdown » March 24th, 2014, 1:15pm

Without this site we would have not been able to plan Thom's party. Nearly every person that is a regular here anymore showed up (I know that's not a lot), and a few even performed. So while the place has been on life support for years, it still has something left.

I've made what I consider a handful of really good friends through this place, and joined two bands over the years from ads I answered here. Haven't met any musicians to play with here in a long time though.

One negative - I can't say I've met anyone from here at any of my shows that was a stranger prior to that. S o listing shows here has been close to useless.

drummerman

Postby drummerman » March 24th, 2014, 2:03pm

sevenyearsdown wrote:One negative - I can't say I've met anyone from here at any of my shows that was a stranger prior to that. S o listing shows here has been close to useless.

You're correct, because nobody's left to see the posting, or someone makes a joke thread out of your posting. That has happened so many times, even I stopped posting about shows.
That's my point from above, I don't care whether someone agrees or disagrees with my post, leave it alone and let it do it's thing for that poster.
It's like not eating someone elses food out of the frig, if it isnt yours, move on and leave it be.
It's all part of supporting, either help it along or leave it be, don't do something negative with it.
Drummerman

TriadBandNF

Postby TriadBandNF » March 24th, 2014, 2:13pm

In a past life, one of my old bands were involved in a lot of crap between female front people. I didn't care for that then and I don't now. It seems to me that there are a lot of people on here just wanting to jump on someone else, cover vs. original, style vs. style, etc. Seems to kill any sense of community. I still post my shows here and gear for sale but not much more. Just sayin...
Rumourz - A tribute to Fleetwood Mac

For booking information please contact:
Blue Moon Management
John Streed
(716) 487-6999
[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/RumourzBandNF

drummerman

Postby drummerman » March 24th, 2014, 2:27pm

TriadBandNF wrote:In a past life, one of my old bands were involved in a lot of crap between female front people. I didn't care for that then and I don't now. It seems to me that there are a lot of people on here just wanting to jump on someone else, cover vs. original, style vs. style, etc. Seems to kill any sense of community. I still post my shows here and gear for sale but not much more. Just sayin...

Again, thats what Im getting at. I just wish we could work together to help each other out. Perfect example, your band playing with Jamie. Thats awesome, and you even promoted his new CD in your posting. Thats a great example of working together to help push even each others projects, not just sharing a stage for the attendance numbers.
Drummerman

TriadBandNF

Postby TriadBandNF » March 24th, 2014, 2:36pm

drummerman wrote:
TriadBandNF wrote:In a past life, one of my old bands were involved in a lot of crap between female front people. I didn't care for that then and I don't now. It seems to me that there are a lot of people on here just wanting to jump on someone else, cover vs. original, style vs. style, etc. Seems to kill any sense of community. I still post my shows here and gear for sale but not much more. Just sayin...

Again, thats what Im getting at. I just wish we could work together to help each other out. Perfect example, your band playing with Jamie. Thats awesome, and you even promoted his new CD in your posting. Thats a great example of working together to help push even each others projects, not just sharing a stage for the attendance numbers.

That's the idea. Collaboration not competition. We had Pete at one of our shows last month and couldn't wait to see if he would come up and sing a tune with us. BTW, he sang "Oh Well" and killed it.

Blue Moon Management
John Streed
(716) 487-6999
[email protected]

drummerman

Postby drummerman » March 24th, 2014, 2:38pm

Thats awesome!!!!!
We need more of that.
We are constantly pushing other peoples projects and web sites and such. We aren't in competition, and thats what everyone needs to realize. We are all doing this as a common interest, let's help each other.
Drummerman

TriadBandNF

Postby TriadBandNF » March 24th, 2014, 7:08pm

In our last three shows, we had members of your band, Steelhorse and Everett Lee jam with us. I love it. It's great to share the stage, and yes even if it's a bar, with great talent and people.

Blue Moon Management
John Streed
(716) 487-6999
[email protected]

drummerman

Postby drummerman » March 25th, 2014, 12:32pm

Thats cool. There are so many out there that would get all crazy about doing that, and competitive. It's about opening doors and networking and getting this music scene firmly on its feet
Drummerman

donkeypunch
mustard tiger

Postby donkeypunch » March 25th, 2014, 1:00pm

I've met alot of great pople and bands on here in person.
"I've been told this and it's been proven by research - He who fucks Nuns will later join the Church"

TriadBandNF

Postby TriadBandNF » March 25th, 2014, 1:34pm

donkeypunch wrote:I've met alot of great pople and bands on here in person.

Me too. That's a cool thing about this place.

Blue Moon Management
John Streed
(716) 487-6999
[email protected]

donkeypunch
mustard tiger

Postby donkeypunch » March 26th, 2014, 12:16pm

TriadBandNF wrote:
donkeypunch wrote:I've met alot of great pople and bands on here in person.

Me too. That's a cool thing about this place.

Years ago when Seven sent me a message with his cell phone number on it....the title simply said. Total Regret. Still think that was one of the funniest things ever.

I also used to get some funny stuff from Stellar in messages....not sure who that was but that was a great time on here.
"I've been told this and it's been proven by research - He who fucks Nuns will later join the Church"

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Postby sevenyearsdown » March 26th, 2014, 12:59pm

and just look at us now.....just like chocolate and peanut butter! love you boo!

Ida
has opinions, so the rest of us don't have to....

Postby Ida » March 26th, 2014, 2:25pm

Hence my point...we've all basically connected with one another through this site already. Newbies are ran off by the snide remarks, so they aren't networking here really. Anything related to this site is primarily nostalgic and sentimental, but it's actual usefulness is questionable, especially with the advent of Facebook and other avenues of connecting. It's kind of obsolete. Even its creator is no longer actively engaged here.
But leave it to a bunch of guys, who in typical male fashion, don't want to part with this site like a favorite old t-shirt from high school or a comfy falling apart at the seams recliner. Go ahead..I'm ready for the onslaught.

donkeypunch
mustard tiger

Postby donkeypunch » March 26th, 2014, 2:45pm

Ida wrote:Hence my point...we've all basically connected with one another through this site already. Newbies are ran off by the snide remarks, so they aren't networking here really. Anything related to this site is primarily nostalgic and sentimental, but it's actual usefulness is questionable, especially with the advent of Facebook and other avenues of connecting. It's kind of obsolete. Even its creator is no longer actively engaged here.
But leave it to a bunch of guys, who in typical male fashion, don't want to part with this site like a favorite old t-shirt from high school or a comfy falling apart at the seams recliner. Go ahead..I'm ready for the onslaught.

Let's do dinner pookie.

Return to “Music Discussion”