What is with guitar techs?

General discussion about *music* in Western New York.

Moderator: Admin Team

gjcamann

What is with guitar techs?

Postby gjcamann » December 17th, 2013, 11:42am

There's a good war going on at CL, something to do with "Bottom" Shelf Music. Unfortunately they keep deleting each others posts so it's hard to keep up. This forum is a way better place to have an argument because everything stays around for people to read over and over again :D
Is it something to do with the occupation? Like working in the post office?
I can't see how someone could be upset working with guitars all day.

donkeypunch
mustard tiger

Re: What is with guitar techs?

Postby donkeypunch » December 17th, 2013, 1:52pm

I'm in northen Niagara county by the lake. The guy I use alot is a player/teacher/repair guy....has a shop on 104. He's a strange cat but really good. I brought him a guitar over the summer for a set up....he also crowned my frets, cleaned my neck and such. I was surprised what a big difference it made.
"I've been told this and it's been proven by research - He who fucks Nuns will later join the Church"

Sue
Welcoming Committee - Chairman

Postby Sue » December 17th, 2013, 2:36pm

gjcamann wrote:There's a good war going on at CL, something to do with "Bottom" Shelf Music. Unfortunately they keep deleting each others posts so it's hard to keep up.

What seems to be the theme? Or are people just trying to talk smack about other people in the same field?

gjcamann

Postby gjcamann » December 17th, 2013, 2:54pm

From my feed reader (can't see the whole post and the original was deleted)

So Scott I see you flagged my ad what the trutht hurts? then do the right thing. Wow someone else comes forward! Well "Mr TopShelf" Scott ripped me off at a guitar show at Antique world. He had a drawing which anyone could sign up for,all you did [...]

Bottom Shelf Music the only thing your internationally recognized for is selling phony "vintage" instruments or bullshitting people out their real vintage instruments and buying them up cheap and selling them for a huge profit! But really I'm here to [...]

Kyle B

Postby Kyle B » January 2nd, 2014, 11:11pm

It's because every craftsman thinks every other craftsman working the same trade is an idiot. And these guys are all guitar players to boot (I don't have to explain that I'm sure...)

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Postby sevenyearsdown » January 3rd, 2014, 9:29am

Some techs are great, others are just opinionated guitar players who think they know what is best for your setup. If they are busy putting down some other competing business, then I would assume that they aren't any good to begin with. It's not like there are 100 shops doing this work. The good ones are always busy and backed up, and have no time for flame wars.

Unless you need specific electronics work done, I would recommend finding a luthier instead of a frustrated guitar tech. Since I've started taking my stuff Monaco's, I don't think I'd go anywhere else. Those guys are real artists and craftsman - not dudes who just tinker with guitars.

If all you need is setup work done, learn how to do it yourself. It's not hard. A quality instrument will typically setup very easy. Cheap asian market stuff - hit or miss.

There are a ton of good "how to" guides on the web now - many right on manufacturers web sites like Fender has. I think Stew Mac even sells a complete setup kit too http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Tool_Kits.html

Return to “Music Discussion”