Best Open Mic Nights: Where Are They?

General discussion about *music* in Western New York.

Moderator: Admin Team

Ludwig Von ProMark

Best Open Mic Nights: Where Are They?

Postby Ludwig Von ProMark » March 17th, 2014, 10:39am

I'm trying to meet some musicians to sign on with a new band. Doesn't seem to be too much doing in the Musicians' forum here. Where are the best open mic nights in your experience?

drummerman

Re: Best Open Mic Nights: Where Are They?

Postby drummerman » March 17th, 2014, 3:03pm

The Wagon Wheel on Thursdays at 8pm. 7201 Niagara Falls Blvd, Niagara Falls. Only thing not there is drums.
Also, check out Hops-n-Vines in Lewiston on Thursdays as well. 490 Center St, Lewiston, NY
Drummerman

urbanfish

Postby urbanfish » April 10th, 2014, 10:23pm

OPEN MIC EVERY TUESDAY AT MILKIES ON ELMWOOD. DRUMS, BASS, AND GUITAR AMP AVAILABLE. BAR AND FOOD. SIGN UP STARTS AT 8. MUSICIANS COMEDIANS AND POETS WELCOMED.
Last edited by urbanfish on April 11th, 2014, 5:12pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ida
has opinions, so the rest of us don't have to....

Postby Ida » April 11th, 2014, 7:41am

What day of the week?

donkeypunch
mustard tiger

Postby donkeypunch » April 11th, 2014, 11:53am

I dig Hops n Vines, go there often....great vibe and such, but if your goal is to hook up with other musicians, that would not be the place for that, IMO. Not to be snobby, but the people, who are very nice mind you, who play there usually turns into a trainwreck. It's mainly a place to people watch and drink some good beer.
"I've been told this and it's been proven by research - He who fucks Nuns will later join the Church"

Potts

Postby Potts » April 17th, 2014, 9:11am

I host one at Mooney's on Military on Thursday nights...

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Postby sevenyearsdown » May 9th, 2014, 7:57am

donkeypunch wrote:I dig Hops n Vines, go there often....great vibe and such, but if your goal is to hook up with other musicians, that would not be the place for that, IMO. Not to be snobby, but the people, who are very nice mind you, who play there usually turns into a trainwreck. It's mainly a place to people watch and drink some good beer.

Three of us from Timbre Land went there last night and ended playing with half the people that signed up. I got asked to back another folk group before I even got off stage. It was a lot of fun. I concur with the d-punch that there is a lot of trainwrecking going on from musicians just kind of winging it with other people that they haven't played with before. However it was the busiest open mic I've ever seen. I left around 11 and there was no end in sight. Lots of older people playing 60's folky stuff and Beatles.

The cool thing is that the crowd was 90% musicians, and there were a lot of them, and none seemed to be of the doosh variety.

It's a good time.

Tabolt
Moderates, but willy-nilly at best

Postby Tabolt » May 14th, 2014, 12:55am

I'm interested in answers to this question, too. I had a good experience not long ago at the Monday night open mic at Moonshiner's in Hamburg, hosted by Alison Pipitone. Very acoustic leaning. Nice mix of covers and originals presented by promising young-uns and grizzled veterans whose stories go on for too long. And they're in harmony with the regulars. It was a great scene just to be in.

TriadBandNF

Postby TriadBandNF » May 14th, 2014, 7:36am

I have both hosted and played the open mic at Hops and Vines. It's a great venue. Waterstreet Landing in Lewiston has an open mic on Wednesday's hosted by Dave Thurman. Also, the open jam at the Wagon Wheel with Chuck Derose and friends on Thursdays.
Rumourz - A tribute to Fleetwood Mac

For booking information please contact:
Blue Moon Management
John Streed
(716) 487-6999
[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/RumourzBandNF

All Change is Good
fancy book learnin talk

Postby All Change is Good » May 14th, 2014, 4:12pm

Tabolt wrote:I'm interested in answers to this question, too. I had a good experience not long ago at the Monday night open mic at Moonshiner's in Hamburg, hosted by Alison Pipitone. Very acoustic leaning. Nice mix of covers and originals presented by promising young-uns and grizzled veterans whose stories go on for too long. And they're in harmony with the regulars. It was a great scene just to be in.

Plus Alison is the nicest person in all of the world.
superbe bibit cervisiam in imbrem
http://www.TheresaQuinn.com

Return to “Music Discussion”