RIP Pete Perrone

General discussion about *music* in Western New York.

Moderator: Admin Team

Ida
has opinions, so the rest of us don't have to....

RIP Pete Perrone

Postby Ida » May 8th, 2014, 5:15pm

As posted by Irving Claws on Facebook:

It is with deep sadness we learn of the passing of Pete Perrone. We all have so many fond memories and great stories we could tell and I hope they all come out eventually. One of my favorites is our first ever gig at Mohawk Place, we were to open for the Frantic Flattops and Rob Peltier was running late, I think we had to play last because of this and I can tell you Pete was NOT impressed with us and let me know it! Eventually that changed as we became somewhat of a house band at Mohawk Place. He was a straight shooter who knew if you were in a good or bad place and would ask you. He actually gave a shit about his patrons as many of them he considered friends. The fact he allowed us to develop there and never restricted us in any way was essential to all the incredible nights there, when we played and when we were just hanging out. This is a very rare photo of Pete on stage. I had to really convince him to do this for us the night we recorded for a live CD (to be released with Vinyl version of Demon Tarts). He did not want to be on stage much less talk! But he did it for us because he knew it was important to us. Thank You Pete. Words fail me now but these aren't tears welling up, it's gratitude.

Ida
has opinions, so the rest of us don't have to....

Re: RIP Pete Perrone

Postby Ida » May 8th, 2014, 5:21pm

Posted on Facebook by Mark Weinstein:
Pete Perrone, long-time owner of Mohawk Place, passed away peacefully last night at his winter home in South Carolina. Depending on your age, Pete was like a father/grandfather/uncle/brother to so many of us who thought of Mohawk Place as a second home for so many years. He turned a hundred-year-old corner bar into an internationally known music venue. Touring bands who knew him always asked about him when I'd run into them, whether in Buffalo or at SXSW. There will be a Buffalo area memorial service for him next month. . .

"Perrone was a champion of the underdog. In the early 1990s when venues like the Continental were forcing young and unproven acts to audition for slots to play, Mohawk always had an open door, allowing new bands a shot without hoops to jump through. He would see someone who had hung around his bar a little bit and give them a chance, regardless of their experience."

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Re: RIP Pete Perrone

Postby sevenyearsdown » May 9th, 2014, 7:28am

Return to “Music Discussion”