family friendly events

General discussion about *music* in Western New York.

Moderator: Admin Team

crentist
Beautiful Lunatic

family friendly events

Postby crentist » June 25th, 2014, 7:47pm

Are there many places or events in wny?
Twould be nice to get out without having to find a sitter every time.
I don't know if they really don't sound all that different in a band context or if years of playing in bands with guitarists have honed my guitarist-ignoring skills to perfection.

Ida
has opinions, so the rest of us don't have to....

Re: family friendly events

Postby Ida » June 25th, 2014, 9:43pm

Kenmore Days 6/25-28

crentist
Beautiful Lunatic

Postby crentist » June 25th, 2014, 10:43pm

But, the guido's..... Lol
Thanks
I don't know if they really don't sound all that different in a band context or if years of playing in bands with guitarists have honed my guitarist-ignoring skills to perfection.

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Postby sevenyearsdown » June 26th, 2014, 7:18am

The Power Vista has many free to the public events geared towards kids. The wild life festival in the fall is pretty cool. They always do holiday related stuff as well, but it can get pretty busy depending on what time you are there.

http://www.nypa.gov/vc/nvccalendar.asp

crentist
Beautiful Lunatic

Postby crentist » June 26th, 2014, 7:52am

TThanks,
Right now, I'm leaning years something I can do where it would
Be acceptable to be holding a 6 month old.

guitardude
threatened you on page 8

Postby guitardude » June 26th, 2014, 8:16am

Edgefest?

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Postby sevenyearsdown » June 26th, 2014, 8:22am

crentist wrote:TThanks,
Right now, I'm leaning years something I can do where it would

Speak the king's english please.

BTW were you looking for musical events to take the lil' one to since this is in music discussion?

crentist
Beautiful Lunatic

Postby crentist » June 26th, 2014, 9:03am

crentist wrote:Thanks,
Right now, I'm leaning twards something I can do where it would

Oy!

crentist
Beautiful Lunatic

Postby crentist » June 26th, 2014, 9:05am

Yeah, like local bands.
I can't stand being around obnoxious drunks.
And I would most likely have a little one so the volume level is also a concearn.

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Postby sevenyearsdown » June 26th, 2014, 9:17am

Oh well in that case......

We are playing a couple of winery gigs this summer. If you don't mind bringing the bundle of joy to a alcohol manufacturing site, and listening to songs about dope, booze, cheating, prison, and dope.....then....uhhh...we aren't really loud.

The obnoxious drunk part is hard of you want to see rock bands, as most of them are full of obnoxious drunks.

The Lewiston Jazz Festival might be a good for you guys.

yellow ed
Fairly Handsome Overloard

Postby yellow ed » June 26th, 2014, 9:44am

crentist wrote:Yeah, like local bands.
And I would most likely have a little one so the volume level is also a concearn.

There are bands in Bidwell Parkway once a week.

The food truck thing at Larkin has live music.
They can take our xpatsxpats, but they can never take our FREEDOM!!!!!

crentist
Beautiful Lunatic

Postby crentist » June 26th, 2014, 9:53am

Thanks, people

gjcamann

Postby gjcamann » June 26th, 2014, 10:42am

Sometimes you can catch some live music at a farmers market. Artpark has kids events during the opening act, but we usually leave before the headline plays - just how it is with kids.

The trick with babies is movement, keep the stroller moving and you'll usually be fine. So find a not overly crowded festival with music (like the Lewiston jazz fest), throw your kids in a stroller and try to enjoy.

Also, canal fest has a live music schedule, so I can usually catch 20 minutes of a band when we go there. Also, I like the NT/Tonawanda concert series because while the band is playing you can walk around, still hear the band and keep the stroller going so the kid doesn't get bored. Besides, being in front of the stage is usually too loud for kids anyways IMO, and that's where all the drunks are too.

guitardude
threatened you on page 8

Postby guitardude » June 26th, 2014, 10:48am

gjcamann wrote:Sometimes you can catch some live music at a farmers market. Artpark has kids events during the opening act, but we usually leave before the headline plays - just how it is with kids.

The trick with babies is movement, keep the stroller moving and you'll usually be fine. So find a not overly crowded festival with music (like the Lewiston jazz fest), throw your kids in a stroller and try to enjoy.

Also, canal fest has a live music schedule, so I can usually catch 20 minutes of a band when we go there. Also, I like the NT/Tonawanda concert series because while the band is playing you can walk around, still hear the band and keep the stroller going so the kid doesn't get bored. Besides, being in front of the stage is usually too loud for kids anyways IMO, and that's where all the drunks are too.

I'll second the NT series; although I haven't been there in years so I don't know what's happenining there now specifically. Mrs. Guitardude and I used to take our little guy there. I don't know what the schedule is, but it used to be on Wednesdays and Fridays. Cheap and easy. Just like me.

Dobro
resident Guru

Postby Dobro » June 26th, 2014, 11:33am

crentist wrote:Yeah, like local bands.

I hear ya on the obnoxious drunks thang. Had one show up at our practice tues nite. What a waste of time.
I wanted to kick him in the nads. :-?

Bidwell "Picnic in the Parkway" Concert Series kicks it on Tues eves. They have food, drink, families, and the usual Elmwood peoploids.
Farmers Market sometimes too, I think. Not sure if that's on the Tues. Maybe that's thurs.
7/1: Aqueous
7/8: McCarthyizm
7/15: Hayden Fogle & the Ambassadors, The Freshwater Four.
7/22: The Informers
7/29: Neville Francis & The Riddim Posse
8/5: Sol y Sombra
8/12: John n Mary & the Valkries

Not usually loud and you can walk away from the stage area if it is, and chill on the grass.
Look for me sitting outside with my bike at Jim's Steakout. I'd love to see the baby.
My grandson just turned two and I'm havin' a blast with him! :)

~Dobs

Return to “Music Discussion”