Punk : Good Bad and the Ugly.

General discussion about *music* in Western New York.

Moderator: Admin Team

donkeypunch
mustard tiger

Punk : Good Bad and the Ugly.

Postby donkeypunch » July 3rd, 2014, 9:07am

I'll get the thread rolling......Probably will go at least 4 posts.

Since the Pistols were mentioned in the R&R Hall thread.....in retrospect, they were really a marketing tool of Malcom IMO. They started off with some promise but when Glenn left for Sid they were a joke. Lydon who portrayed himself as not caring about anything has spent his life working hard at still be that "way out there - hey look at me" dude.

Blondie....Kills me when Harry refers to them as pioneers in Punk. Ok you were there but so what. Don't get wrong...I dig Blondie but C'mon, call it for what it is.
"I've been told this and it's been proven by research - He who fucks Nuns will later join the Church"

yellow ed
Fairly Handsome Overloard

Re: Punk : Good Bad and the Ugly.

Postby yellow ed » July 3rd, 2014, 9:56am

Pistols were great. PiL were great. Lydon spends a fair amount of time talking shit but backs it up with great music.
They can take our xpatsxpats, but they can never take our FREEDOM!!!!!

Unknown Eric
NOT a morning person

Postby Unknown Eric » July 3rd, 2014, 11:08am

Well, PiL were great, until Levene quit.* After that, Lydon tried to go pop and it wasn't pretty.

*As much as I love the bass god Jah Wobble, the Flowers of Romance and Commercial Zone projects were fantastic, so it was clearly Levene's input that was necessary.
"Rock music is mostly about moving big black boxes from one side of town to the other in the back of your car." - David Thomas, Pere Ubu.

donkeypunch
mustard tiger

Postby donkeypunch » July 3rd, 2014, 12:18pm

Early movement was killer but I still enjoyed the second wave even more I think. Flag/Jerks/DK......

Bought this album and listened to it everyday for like six months. Had everything I loved about punk in one sleeve.
"I've been told this and it's been proven by research - He who fucks Nuns will later join the Church"

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Postby sevenyearsdown » July 7th, 2014, 8:14am

The Pistols did have that one great album......but Lydon does come off as a d-bag anytime someone puts him in front a camera.

I love just about all things punk from the 70's/early 80's. It's too bad that some really good bands didn't have access to quality recording practices for the time. There's a lot of great music that sounds like dog shit because it was four tracked in a basement or whatever.

Return to “Music Discussion”