Okay, I'll say it

General discussion about *music* in Western New York.

Moderator: Admin Team

All Change is Good
fancy book learnin talk

Okay, I'll say it

Postby All Change is Good » July 29th, 2014, 5:23pm

If you are a female singer and you have to hire a guitar player to do a gig, you are not an 'acoustic duo'. The group is an acoustic solo musician and some singer.

Thus concludes my rare but pointed snarkiness.
superbe bibit cervisiam in imbrem
http://www.TheresaQuinn.com

Ida
has opinions, so the rest of us don't have to....

Re: Okay, I'll say it

Postby Ida » July 30th, 2014, 10:59am

From the singer's point of view they would be an acoustic solo artist with a back up musician. :wink:

All Change is Good
fancy book learnin talk

Postby All Change is Good » July 30th, 2014, 11:30am

I guess my point is: are singers really musicians if they really don't know anything about music?

We are all born able to sing, arguably some better than others. Just because you are some one who thinks you should audition for American Idol, does that make you a musician?

I have played open mikes where I have asked a singer what key they want a song in and they have said they have no idea. A second grader in a school chorus has no idea what key they sing in also.

Musicians are people who learn to read music or at least understand chord structure. They learn the language, hone a skill that not every one can do because they were merely 'born'.

I have accompanied a million of singers' vocal lessons. There are people who really worked hard, learned to read music and perfected the skill. I think that's the difference. Or perhaps this is a distinction without a difference.

[My disclaimer is that I am trying to generate a discussion and may be taking a stance that is perceived as controversial merely for the sake of stimulating a reaction. However if pressed on the disclaimer, I will openly deny that sinister motivation].

gjcamann

Postby gjcamann » July 30th, 2014, 12:15pm

So this female singer you talk of... Is she cute and single?

All Change is Good
fancy book learnin talk

Postby All Change is Good » July 30th, 2014, 12:24pm

gjcamann wrote:So this female singer you talk of... Is she cute and single?

I actually had no one in mind in particular. And besides, I would not be a good arbiter of "cute".

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Postby sevenyearsdown » July 30th, 2014, 1:11pm

Some people learn how to play music, while others just learn a bunch of songs they like to get from the basement to the bar in short time. The general public is usually more interested the second type.

So are singers musicians? Well not if the extent of your skills is belting out Bon Jovi nonsense, out of key, and displaying your assets to deflect the male audience away from your terrible singing.

You got mad skills and you're good looking ACIG, so I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Guido
W.W.M.T.D?

Postby Guido » July 30th, 2014, 1:46pm

All Change is Good wrote:I have played open mikes where I have asked a singer what key they want a song in and they have said they have no idea. A second grader in a school chorus has no idea what key they sing in also.

My question would be, who is this Mike dude and why is he "open"?
"I'm getting tired of you telling me I'm crazy and my music sucks"

All Change is Good
fancy book learnin talk

Postby All Change is Good » July 30th, 2014, 1:49pm

These are personal questions.

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Postby sevenyearsdown » July 30th, 2014, 1:49pm

Guido wrote:
All Change is Good wrote:I have played open mikes where I have asked a singer what key they want a song in and they have said they have no idea. A second grader in a school chorus has no idea what key they sing in also.

My question would be, who is this Mike dude and why is he "open"?

:lol: :popcorn:

Guido
W.W.M.T.D?

Postby Guido » July 30th, 2014, 2:01pm

Listen, here's the way I see it .....

When I get a band (or a person) to back up my mad vocal skillz, as long as my mikerophone works and can deliver my awesomeness to the fevered crowd of cougars.... well then gash darnit, that's all that counts.
"I'm getting tired of you telling me I'm crazy and my music sucks"

donkeypunch
mustard tiger

Postby donkeypunch » July 31st, 2014, 12:35pm

1. I dated a girl in Fredonia who was a voice major...she was a close to perfect pitch as you could get. Then she dumped me for a gay guy on a saturday night at the Old Main Inn. True story.

2. I have a capo.
"I've been told this and it's been proven by research - He who fucks Nuns will later join the Church"

Ida
has opinions, so the rest of us don't have to....

Postby Ida » July 31st, 2014, 1:10pm

Arguably there are musicians who are very adept at what they do and can't read a lick of music. Point in case was Paul McCartney, though I'm sure that changed over the years. Another point in case, Hendrix. And in many cases, most of your blues legends started on guitars that were missing strings/made from rubber bands and didn't read or know music theory, yet they are considered to be not only musicians, but icons. I think if you are singer, and you work at your singing skills to continually improve, or just sing all day long when you get the chance because you are compelled to, and/or you are gifted with a voice, that makes you a singer and a musician. An instrumental musician who reads CAN be equally limited as someone who doesn't. One could easily say that those who sight read rely on sheet music and can't improv and visa versa. I know singers who may not know their keys, but they understand their range and then ask other musicians can help them figure it out. It is, after all, a collaborative effort.

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Postby sevenyearsdown » August 1st, 2014, 8:45am

I agree with some of what Ida said. I have played with a couple of guys that could site read, and that was all they could do. They weren't very adept at being able to figure out something to play on even simple songs, and not much "ear" training so to speak.

I still think getting a little bit of theory goes a long way, even if you are just playing rock music. It's not that you need it, but it will make you better if you give a shit about playing your chosen instrument. Plus learning to read music puts you in a position to study a boatload of technique from books and videos that are only available in written music form.

I kick myself for not learning to read and getting some real lesson/theory until I was almost 30. My playing jumped leaps and bounds after that. Occasionally I still meet up to play with people that I've known for a long time, and there ability hasn't progressed in over 10 years. Still relying on the same old tricks, blues licks, etc. It drives me nuts to play with people like that. It's fine if that's what makes you happy as a guitar player or whatever.

Return to “Music Discussion”