Rock Songwriters

General discussion about *music* in Western New York.

Moderator: Admin Team

donkeypunch
mustard tiger

Re: Rock Songwriters

Postby donkeypunch » October 1st, 2014, 2:48pm

Puzzled by this...is that list made up of good song writers? or not good ones?
"I've been told this and it's been proven by research - He who fucks Nuns will later join the Church"

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Postby sevenyearsdown » October 2nd, 2014, 7:41am

Lou Reed - great lyrics with a lot of terrible music and vocals. It's an acquired taste.

Tom Waits - great songs, lyrics, and again probably an acquired taste because of the voice. Maybe not rock, but lots of rockers have used his stuff.

Ida
has opinions, so the rest of us don't have to....

Postby Ida » October 2nd, 2014, 9:32am

Great lyricists, terrible singers (IMHO):
Bruce Springsteen
Bob Dylan
Bob Seeger
Johnny Cash
Stevie Nicks
Tom Waits

donkeypunch
mustard tiger

Postby donkeypunch » October 2nd, 2014, 12:04pm

Well everyone has their own tastes for sure.....not wrong or right in any way.

My favorites are....

Weir/Barlow ---- Garcia/Hunter ...... I know Im a Dead Head and play in a Dead band, but the main thing that seperates the Dead form the huge Jam Band scene that has evolved is their songs. Just so powerful and well done. Thought provoking - abstract painting - counrtryish - nonsensical - and just plain fun. Umphrey's -STS9 - String - Widespread - Phish - MOE - Railroad Earth - etc etc....great players and each have a handful of great tunes but just not the body of work the Dead had.

Neil Young ...... Other than the one period of his where he went of the deep end with the Bluenotes, love all of his songs. Just perfect.

Lou Reed.....agree with Seven above.

Joe Strummer.....god

Steve Harris....if metal is your thing...look no further.
"I've been told this and it's been proven by research - He who fucks Nuns will later join the Church"

Ida
has opinions, so the rest of us don't have to....

Postby Ida » October 2nd, 2014, 3:41pm

donkeypunch wrote:Neil Young ...... Other than the one period of his where he went of the deep end with the Bluenotes, love all of his songs. Just perfect.

Neil is another shining example of great lyrics, terrible voice. Ironic you said this though, because the Bluenotes era is one of my favs. Ten Men Working..Love it!

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Postby sevenyearsdown » October 3rd, 2014, 7:29am

donkeypunch wrote:Well everyone has their own tastes for sure.....not wrong or right in any way.

My favorites are....

Weir/Barlow ---- Garcia/Hunter ...... I know Im a Dead Head and play in a Dead band, but the main thing that seperates the Dead form the huge Jam Band scene that has evolved is their songs. Just so powerful and well done. Thought provoking - abstract painting - counrtryish - nonsensical - and just plain fun. Umphrey's -STS9 - String - Widespread - Phish - MOE - Railroad Earth - etc etc....great players and each have a handful of great tunes but just not the body of work the Dead had.

Neil Young ...... Other than the one period of his where he went of the deep end with the Bluenotes, love all of his songs. Just perfect.

Lou Reed.....agree with Seven above.

Joe Strummer.....god

Steve Harris....if metal is your thing...look no further.

Lay off the bong you fucking hippy fuck.

donkeypunch
mustard tiger

Postby donkeypunch » October 6th, 2014, 11:38am

Lords of Acid write some good shit

Return to “Music Discussion”