Sharing

General discussion about *music* in Western New York.

Moderator: Admin Team

All Change is Good
fancy book learnin talk

Sharing

Postby All Change is Good » October 15th, 2014, 11:34am

I am a piano player, I am used to playing whatever instrument is there. We often don't get to choose what it sounds like.

Interesting, the other day at the BMHOF, I realized that guitar players do not like letting other people play their guitars.

While I get it - you wouldn't want anyone to change your 'setting', that's not likely to happen at such an event where you are standing right there.

But I actually saw someone getting all out of shape about a guitarist [using the instrument WITH PERMISSION] merely playing the damned thing.

Guitar players: please explain this to me, if in fact there is any reasonable explanation.
superbe bibit cervisiam in imbrem
http://www.TheresaQuinn.com

yellow ed
Fairly Handsome Overloard

Re: Sharing

Postby yellow ed » October 15th, 2014, 11:43am

It's really easy to break or screw up a guitar. Much easier than it is to mess up a Yamaha keyboard or actual piano.
They can take our xpatsxpats, but they can never take our FREEDOM!!!!!

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Postby sevenyearsdown » October 15th, 2014, 11:52am

Guitar players are typically borderline retarded neanderthals that care far more about the looks/vintage of their gear than they do the ability to play any of it well. Knowing this they don't want another knuckle dragging mouth breather to touch their stuff for fear that they may damage their shiny toy.

#robguido

All Change is Good
fancy book learnin talk

Postby All Change is Good » October 15th, 2014, 12:11pm

Ha!

Except the "knuckle dragging mouth breather" was Dave Elder using the guitar of someone who in fact gave him permission to use it. [I actually do not know who the guitar owner was]. I can't imagine what Dave did to bring about the ire of the owner.

There were several keyboards set up too. While I understand a very specific set up was there [with layered keyboards with probably very programmed voicings], there was a run of the mill, 88-key KB there too that I was instructed I, nor any one other than the owner, could use.

So I set up yet a third KB onstage and everyone, other than the specific layered KB player and whoever owned the sacred regular KB, played.

Just seemed unnecessarily redundant [and made it really tight and difficult to navigate onstage].

donkeypunch
mustard tiger

Postby donkeypunch » October 15th, 2014, 12:29pm

sevenyearsdown wrote:Guitar players are typically borderline retarded neanderthals that care far more about the looks/vintage of their gear than they do the ability to play any of it well. Knowing this they don't want another knuckle dragging mouth breather to touch their stuff for fear that they may damage their shiny toy.

#robguido

That was great....

I had a 1970 Cutom Les Paul.....this younger band was opening for us at the show place when his guitar took a shit. I gave him mine to play, he wouldn't take it at first. I had to insist....dude it's a guitar...just dont smash it.
"I've been told this and it's been proven by research - He who fucks Nuns will later join the Church"

Ida
has opinions, so the rest of us don't have to....

Postby Ida » October 16th, 2014, 10:56am

Bass players are so much more accommodating. We don't need a certain amp or bass to "get our sound" and we gladly share. (It's the player, not the equipment) If guitar players didn't require pedal boards and rigs that resemble a NASA space station, they wouldn't have to worry about someone else using their stuff. Common courtesy while using someone else's toys is something you are supposed to learn as a child.

All Change is Good
fancy book learnin talk

Postby All Change is Good » October 16th, 2014, 10:59am

Ida wrote:If guitar players didn't require pedal boards and rigs that resemble a NASA space station...

Ha!

Ida wrote:Common courtesy while using someone else's toys is something you are supposed to learn as a child.

Amen, Sister!

Someone took a very sketchy video of our medley and Dave does not appear to be doing anything of detriment to that guitar.

crentist
Beautiful Lunatic

Postby crentist » October 18th, 2014, 10:07am

Two words, pedalstar galatica....
I don't know if they really don't sound all that different in a band context or if years of playing in bands with guitarists have honed my guitarist-ignoring skills to perfection.

TriadBandNF

Postby TriadBandNF » October 20th, 2014, 6:55am

As a fellow guitar player that uses some older gear, ('79 Silverburst Les Paul Custom) as my main guitar, I will always offer my gear for someone to play. I received that guitar
from my father as a gift 25 years ago. It is the only possession that I have from him after his passing. He was not a musician however he understood the impact that guitar had and would have on me. I am particular about my sound, especially since I am in a tribute band, however, I can always tweak my amp, pedals etc to get back to that "sweet" spot. It's no different then adjusting our sound for a particular room, but I digress. As stated before, I will always offer my main rig to a player coming up to jam or to use. In the most part, they are going to be more careful with it because it's not theirs and it was offered. I have had multiple guitar players play the hell outta my guitar and I am always amazed at the sounds and emotion they get out of my rig that I don't. To me, that's the greatest part. Sharing, creating a memorable moment of music.
Rumourz - A tribute to Fleetwood Mac

For booking information please contact:
Blue Moon Management
John Streed
(716) 487-6999
[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/RumourzBandNF

Sue
Welcoming Committee - Chairman

Postby Sue » October 22nd, 2014, 10:19am

I don't mind playing through someone else's rig or sharing mine with someone else. I would never play someone else's bass though. I'd break it.

donkeypunch
mustard tiger

Postby donkeypunch » October 22nd, 2014, 11:33am

Sue wrote:I don't mind playing through someone else's rig or sharing mine with someone else. I would never play someone else's bass though. I'd break it.

or cover it in sweat.....
"I've been told this and it's been proven by research - He who fucks Nuns will later join the Church"

Sue
Welcoming Committee - Chairman

Postby Sue » October 22nd, 2014, 3:08pm

I'm gross.

dolla bill

Postby dolla bill » October 22nd, 2014, 7:44pm

Having to replace a string on the fly sucks...you can play my guitar when I'm done.
Always bringin' my A-game! And a Les Paul !

justme

Postby justme » November 3rd, 2014, 3:26am

Having sat in with many a band in the past, I have to add that I broke a couple of high E guitar strings while sitting in, not on purpose though...excitement and joy took over so while bending the high E string they broke. I felt really bad so I bought a replacement set each time and gave them to the guitar players which made me feel better. I used to host an open mic and I supplied a bass and a rig so I have no problems sharing and I never had any problems after I shared. I would never share any guitar without having strap locks on it you're asking for trouble doing that. I think many guitar players fear that they may be bested on their own instrument at gig, no one wants that... thus no sharing. Many guitarists' feel a physical and/or emotional connection to a guitar, which I understand, which may explain why they don't share.

justme

Postby justme » November 3rd, 2014, 3:38am

To all cover bands out there, if you're gonna share your gear at a gig make sure you have: extra strings, another guitar, a spare snare, extra drumsticks just in case. Sharing or letting people sit in makes it fun for the audience and boosts' attendance, if a musician knows he can sit in with yer band he will gladly attend your gig waiting to play as opposed to that other band who never lets anyone sit in. Here's the trick, wait until the last set so your musician buddy will hang out and drink heavily while waiting to play.

Return to “Music Discussion”