Sharing

General discussion about *music* in Western New York.

Moderator: Admin Team

TriadBandNF

Re: Sharing

Postby TriadBandNF » November 3rd, 2014, 8:34am

justme wrote: so I bought a replacement set each time and gave them to the guitar players which made me feel better. I think many guitar players fear that they may be bested on their own instrument at gig, no one wants that... thus no sharing. Many guitarists' feel a physical and/or emotional connection to a guitar, which I understand, which may explain why they don't share.

Great idea about the strings and such. As far as the other part, I'm not that way but I do understand that there are others that do.
Rumourz - A tribute to Fleetwood Mac

For booking information please contact:
Blue Moon Management
John Streed
(716) 487-6999
[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/RumourzBandNF

Ida
has opinions, so the rest of us don't have to....

Postby Ida » November 3rd, 2014, 4:14pm

I have never had an issue sharing my rig or bass. That said, if other musicians are attending my gigs just waiting with bated breath to be called up to sit in, I find that tacky. I don't go to other people's gigs hoping to be called up. I go to support the product they have rehearsed so diligently to present. Having people sit in on a gig can be fun and a good time for the musicians, and can lead to some killer jams. Unfortunately, more times than not, it sounds loose, sloppy, and doesn't reflect well on the hosting band.

donkeypunch
mustard tiger

Postby donkeypunch » November 4th, 2014, 2:01pm

I saw Hogan's band over the summer last year...inbetween sets...this mother and daughter duo asked if they could use our buddies keyboard and a mic. (they think they are local rock royalty...lol). Thought it was beyond rude and they sucked anyways. Oh lord won't you buy.....

and we never ask anybody to sit in unless it's been gone over in a practice first. Done it a couple of times and was fun. It's wierd when someone who used to be in your band shows up waiting for the nod....umm no.
"I've been told this and it's been proven by research - He who fucks Nuns will later join the Church"

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Postby sevenyearsdown » November 4th, 2014, 3:20pm

I don't think I'd let anyone I don't know use my bass. It's not like I can just ride down to Jacksons and pull a new one off the wall if it gets fucked up.

crentist
Beautiful Lunatic

Postby crentist » November 5th, 2014, 10:17pm

If the sound holes were big or more comfortable,
I couldn't guarantee it's safty.....
I don't know if they really don't sound all that different in a band context or if years of playing in bands with guitarists have honed my guitarist-ignoring skills to perfection.

donkeypunch
mustard tiger

Postby donkeypunch » November 6th, 2014, 1:32pm

crentist wrote:If the sound holes were big or more comfortable,
I couldn't guarantee it's safty.....

If I had a really high end delicate anything I wouldnt let anybody touch it.....as long as someone isnt being a douche', it's kind of hard to screw up a guitar....and a bass.....who really cares? It's a bass. If I was a drummer I'd be more worried....lots that can go wrong.
"I've been told this and it's been proven by research - He who fucks Nuns will later join the Church"

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Postby sevenyearsdown » November 6th, 2014, 2:08pm

Hylo Dekan.

CoreyP
Do you sweat excessively?

Postby CoreyP » November 18th, 2014, 3:20pm

When I sit in on guitar I tend to just plug and play; I'll start with a gain-y setting and roll volume off to taste/bring it back up for leads.

On bass I do have heavier right hand attack than those I tend to sit in with, so I've handed it back out of tune a couple three times, for which I feel bad.

I have no problem with anyone using my guitar or bass rig, I'm a pretty compulsive tuner in between songs so not much is different that I can't get back to pretty quickly... That said, I'm pretty much holding my breath the entire time if someone plays my Goldtop...
I play guitar now!

Return to “Music Discussion”