Breaking the Bank for concerts

General discussion about *music* in Western New York.

Moderator: Admin Team

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Breaking the Bank for concerts

Postby sevenyearsdown » April 14th, 2015, 7:41am

See all kinds of ridiculous dollar amounts being thrown out there for the Stones concert. Personally I'd never pay that much to see them, but I'm probably in the minority on that. Love plenty of their records, but haven't seen much evidence of them being any good live for years. I know it's on some people's bucket list, but it's a lot of money to see a rock band that are in their 70's. I guess there's no harm in a band cashing in on their legacy as long as people are willing to pay the premium.

I just never bought into the idea of "being able to say I saw them" as justification for blowing two months rent on a concert or whatever. This is especially true when said artist is 100 years old. When I saw Willie Nelson last summer, I was hugely disappointed. People were actually walking out it was so bad. I've heard the same of Bob Dylan as well. People are rarely objective about the experience though when they unload that much cash to see a legend.

yellow ed
Fairly Handsome Overloard

Re: Breaking the Bank for concerts

Postby yellow ed » April 14th, 2015, 8:55am

Saw Stones in Moscow in 1998. It was awesome. It was also twelve bucks.

I saw Dylan maybe six years ago. Also great. I was bummed he didn't pick up his guitar, but he was still great. People bitching that he changed the arrangements of songs he's been playing for forty-plus years can get fucked.
They can take our xpatsxpats, but they can never take our FREEDOM!!!!!

Fat Bastard
really needs to get a life

Postby Fat Bastard » April 14th, 2015, 5:53pm

I just paid $80 for a ticket to see Faith No More in Toronto. I'm guessing the Stones would be even way worse. You know who's to blame? The Foo Fighters. I remember when they started touring with higher than usual ticket prices and people went on and on about it, since then the while thing has been cunty bollocks.

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Postby sevenyearsdown » April 15th, 2015, 7:29am

yellow ed wrote:Saw Stones in Moscow in 1998. It was awesome. It was also twelve bucks.

FTW / end thread.

yellow ed

Postby yellow ed » April 15th, 2015, 10:11am

sevenyearsdown wrote:
yellow ed wrote:Saw Stones in Moscow in 1998. It was awesome. It was also twelve bucks.

FTW / end thread.

Also, my ex's cousin bought me the ticket.

It was hilarious to hear the crowd half sing half mumble the chorus to all the old hits. And they knew nothing off of Bridges to Babylon.

donkeypunch
mustard tiger

Postby donkeypunch » April 15th, 2015, 11:47am

This is the most concert tickets I have ever had at one time (other than Dead tours back in the 80's and 90's). All but the Stones were pretty normal...we had to get the $180/seat ones but oh well. This is my war chest right now....

The Hip
English Beat
Rolling Stones
Rush
Widespread Panic
Trucks
My Morning Jacket
Timbreland Whiskey Band (Jazz on the Sea gala...$25 but really fancy food though)

going back and forth deciding on the Violent Femmes in Cleveland. Haven't seen them in awhile...always a killer show.
"I've been told this and it's been proven by research - He who fucks Nuns will later join the Church"

yellow ed

Postby yellow ed » April 15th, 2015, 11:56am

Man, I'd love to see Sharon Jones but would hate to be in a venue full of Tedeschi-Trucks fans

donkeypunch
mustard tiger

Postby donkeypunch » April 15th, 2015, 12:10pm

yellow ed wrote:Man, I'd love to see Sharon Jones but would hate to be in a venue full of Tedeschi-Trucks fans

I'm actually not a huge fan of the stuff they do together, but it's a show.
"I've been told this and it's been proven by research - He who fucks Nuns will later join the Church"

Ida
has opinions, so the rest of us don't have to....

Postby Ida » April 15th, 2015, 4:33pm

Going to Rush-nosebleed seats-$64-ish/tix
Going to Deep Purple-$12/tix

Other than that, I might go see Todd Rundgren in Verona because I'll be missing the one at the Town Ballroom.

Stones, legendary or not, good live or not, are freaking millionaires and don't need to be charging that kind of do-re-mi for a show that I'm sure will be an epic fail.

drummerman

Postby drummerman » April 16th, 2015, 8:59am

My bucket list says to never see the Stones, looks like I'll keep to that
Drummerman

Return to “Music Discussion”