A new Bills Stadium

Be nice, keep it civil, have fun.

Moderator: Admin Team

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

A new Bills Stadium

Postby sevenyearsdown » January 19th, 2015, 11:02am

http://www.buffalonews.com/business/a-l ... s-20150118

It would be cool if the Buffalo Bills actually played in Buffalo. Orchard Park isn't as bad as the NY Jets/Giants playing in another state though.

The idea of a domed stadium in Buffalo is pretty dumb though. Takes all home field advantages away.

Ida
has opinions, so the rest of us don't have to....

Re: A new Bills Stadium

Postby Ida » January 19th, 2015, 10:32pm

It'll congest traffic and parking downtown. Wrong time be taking out the rail system. Stupid move. Plus as much revenue as it will generate for downtown Buffalo, it'll destroy the vintage charm of the city.

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Postby sevenyearsdown » January 20th, 2015, 8:03am

The traffic thing would definitely be a nightmare. Sabres games are a headache, and football games would be much worse.

mcleachy

Postby mcleachy » January 20th, 2015, 9:08am

Many many people don't care bout bills or sabres. True fact.
another available drummer

All Change is Good
fancy book learnin talk

Postby All Change is Good » January 20th, 2015, 10:55am

I would like the Bills to play downtown, and if the stadium actually doubled as a privately-held convention space and somehow useable facility for the days other than rare home football games, I'm all for it.

However, when billionaires are involved, NO PUBLIC MONEY should ever be used for a project like this.

Sign this petition: http://www.nosubsidy.com/petition/
superbe bibit cervisiam in imbrem
http://www.TheresaQuinn.com

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Postby sevenyearsdown » January 20th, 2015, 11:14am

I agree with that. The Harbor Center got 30+ million in tax breaks for what amounts to mostly minimum wage jobs. The numbers just don't add up. Hopefully the place is still occupied when it actually gets on the tax rolls. If you have 2 billion to buy your own foosball team, then you should be able to slap up your own hotel without public cash.

All Change is Good
fancy book learnin talk

Postby All Change is Good » January 20th, 2015, 12:29pm

From the Snooze today:

"Eighteen new sports stadium projects have been completed or started construction since 2005 with costs ranging from $250 million to $1.6 billion"...

"A key argument if taxpayers are asked to fund a stadium project will be over the financial return to the public. Study after study has shown taxpayers often get far less back in return, such as an increase in sales or income tax revenues, than governments have put into stadium construction projects".

Remember Bass Pro? That was going to fix everything too.

Don't believe anyone who tells you this is worth public money. It's not ever been true. We have so much else that needs to be done.
superbe bibit cervisiam in imbrem
http://www.TheresaQuinn.com

donkeypunch
mustard tiger

Postby donkeypunch » January 26th, 2015, 1:23pm

The stadium should be in downtown....I think if it was, it would be used more in the off season. That One Direction thing this summer is the first time it's being used off season in quite awhile. Ida, I can't say you're wrong for your take, but downtown Buffalo has a lot of things...vintage charm is not one of them. Cleveland got it right...Baseball stadium right next door to the Arena and the football stadium is right at the end of downtown.

I was there in may staying across the street from the baseball stadium....it was a sunday night and the city was insane with people and fun. Lady GaGa was at the arena and the Indians were home. Having a downtown stadium could do nothing but help the city.

The other huge question....after spending $133 million on upgrades to Rich...what do you do with it?
"I've been told this and it's been proven by research - He who fucks Nuns will later join the Church"

Fat Bastard
really needs to get a life

Postby Fat Bastard » January 29th, 2015, 6:19pm

All Change is Good wrote:However, when billionaires are involved, NO PUBLIC MONEY should ever be used for a project like this.

Sign this petition: http://www.nosubsidy.com/petition/

Exactly!

yellow ed
Fairly Handsome Overloard

Postby yellow ed » January 31st, 2015, 11:48am

sevenyearsdown wrote:The traffic thing would definitely be a nightmare. Sabres games are a headache, and football games would be much worse.

Totally. It's a nightmare downtown on Sundays already.
They can take our xpatsxpats, but they can never take our FREEDOM!!!!!

Fat Bastard
really needs to get a life

Postby Fat Bastard » February 4th, 2015, 11:50am

yellow ed wrote:Totally. It's a nightmare downtown on Sundays already.

This made me larf out loud.

Not really but it was funny.

55panhd
Should Probably Have a Custom Title

Postby 55panhd » February 8th, 2015, 2:05pm

They have a Dome in Arizona, if they don't build a stadium with a retractable dome here, especially with BirdAir in our town, then they should all be shot! I just hope it's not the same people tasked with building the new Peace Bridge!

Craven Laithe
THE 12th man!

Postby Craven Laithe » December 2nd, 2015, 4:15am

Ida wrote:It'll congest traffic and parking downtown. Wrong time be taking out the rail system. Stupid move. Plus as much revenue as it will generate for downtown Buffalo, it'll destroy the vintage charm of the city.

I couldn't agree more. Leave the stadium where it is. The while dead on arrival comment of the team actually playing in the city bears no merit. They at least play in the state...look at the giants and jets, they didn't even play in nys but they get the tag.

Downtown is bad enough to navigate with a stoop light every two feet and no parking as it is. New stadium...build it in lot 3 next to the Ralph. Truly though, or house is like Fenway. Don't take it down. We don't need a new stadium.

I'd rather have a new peace bridge

yellow ed
Fairly Handsome Overloard

Postby yellow ed » December 5th, 2015, 7:46pm

No one is taking out the rail system
They can take our xpatsxpats, but they can never take our FREEDOM!!!!!

Return to “General Discussion”