The death of independent music stores

Be nice, keep it civil, have fun.

Moderator: Admin Team

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

The death of independent music stores

Postby sevenyearsdown » January 19th, 2015, 11:21am

I was is Jackson Music last week, and man was it depressing. There is literally nothing left in the place. I loved that place, and spent the bulk of money on big purchases there for years. They always treated everyone great.

Generations closed and looked much the same way towards the end (the one in Niagara Falls). Went from having a room full of high end Gibsons to selling cheap weird named guitars I'd never heard of.

I'm sure online retail has killed these kinds of stores. You can usually find a better deal that way IME. I miss being able to go to place with a ton of stock and trying out different stuff - especially being a bass player where the choices are limited to being with. Seems like the independent stores are doing way more in used gear now, which usually equates to entry level crappy guitar amps.

It's sucks seeing these places go. I still refuse to spend a dime at Guitar Center though. Lewiston Music is my go to now.

Guido
W.W.M.T.D?

Re: The death of independent music stores

Postby Guido » January 19th, 2015, 11:37am

I give as much business to Jackson as possible. Jack is a good dude and is always willing to work with you. It does suck though to see the state of the small music stores.
"I'm getting tired of you telling me I'm crazy and my music sucks"

Ida
has opinions, so the rest of us don't have to....

Postby Ida » January 19th, 2015, 10:28pm

Jack explained to me that he only sells guitar equipment, no basses or anything else. He's more specialized now.

Fat Bastard
really needs to get a life

Postby Fat Bastard » January 21st, 2015, 11:19am

I was shocked when I drove by and saw that they gave up that other building to Brick Pizza. I spent thousands of dollars at jackson. They even let me take a keyboard to use for our gig in the buff state quad. I cannot express how awesome those people are.

You really have to be specialized. Like Twin Village, you are probably best to rent instruments for school use, do string tech, etc. Have to be very versatile.

donkeypunch
mustard tiger

Postby donkeypunch » January 21st, 2015, 2:46pm

I still see them on CL alot....stores like that were the best. We'd spend pur saturdays at Costello music in Fredonia. The basement was the used stuff...they never cared how long we'd stay and plug in. I usually pick up a guitar every year but would never do it at Guitar Center. CL really hurts small stores....hard to compete with that.

Lewiston music is cool but no selection to speak of. The owner is cool (and he's a Head).
"I've been told this and it's been proven by research - He who fucks Nuns will later join the Church"

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Postby sevenyearsdown » January 22nd, 2015, 3:43pm

Yeah Tony is super cool at Lewiston. They have a lot more stuff now that they've moved. I get all of my nieces clarinet stuff for school from him.

donkeypunch
mustard tiger

Postby donkeypunch » January 22nd, 2015, 6:21pm

1. Where did they move to?

2. You're a much nicer uncle than a friend. That's for sure.
"I've been told this and it's been proven by research - He who fucks Nuns will later join the Church"

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Postby sevenyearsdown » January 22nd, 2015, 6:50pm

Still in Lewiston. In that little plaza off center street by the post office.

justme

Postby justme » January 24th, 2015, 2:34am

I just stopped @ Depew Music Center looking for a acoustic bass and I was surprised at the lack of selection but I havent been there in a really long time, Music City on Main Street is a great Buffalo store and although I havent been in a while, I heard Guitar Factory in West Seneca is still goin strong. Alot of young and beginning players dont care enough to buy local, its faster and easier for them to goto GC.

Ida
has opinions, so the rest of us don't have to....

Postby Ida » January 26th, 2015, 5:04pm

Don't forget Twin Village Music in Lancaster.
Last edited by Ida on February 17th, 2015, 5:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boomtwang

Postby Boomtwang » February 14th, 2015, 4:11pm

Blame it on Ebay 's shopping on line sites ....and now Pawn shops seem to be mess'n up Music Stores too . It's really a shame that the younger generation will never experience the smell of a authentic music store with many beautiful guitar
s . Bass's, amps , drums , and real people to explain the products . Also what about refunds , and of course is the instrument a counterfeit , example the insides of your per say new Fender / Gibson the real guts of your dream guitar ect. IMO these days we may have to buy direct from the guitar company in person ! I know Fender and Carvin will do you the extra mile . Oh yeah it has become very inconvenient but if you want the real thing that seem to be the true purchase ...sorry if I went off track a bit , but it really sucks that the younger generation seems to except it unless they have a uncle or dad to show the reality .

yellow ed
Fairly Handsome Overloard

Postby yellow ed » February 15th, 2015, 3:38pm

Pawn shops have always been a great place to get guitars, etc. Not sure what you mean?
They can take our xpatsxpats, but they can never take our FREEDOM!!!!!

donkeypunch
mustard tiger

Postby donkeypunch » February 16th, 2015, 2:06pm

Granted i've only been in a handful of pawn shops, but I always found that what gear they had...mostly crap...was way overpriced. A Cort for $350.00...stuff like that.

There's an antique store in Lockport, (Just Looking) I found a really nice Fender Strat, tobacco burst....only wanted $150.00 for a USA build. I copied the serial number and such, looked into it for awhile on Fender sites and discussion boards....turned out it was a copy not a Fender. I went back and told the guy what he realy had...he said he didn't care, it is what it is. Thought that was kind of crappy.

yellow ed
Fairly Handsome Overloard

Postby yellow ed » February 16th, 2015, 2:35pm

I remember getting great deals on good gear in pawn shops in the nineties. Any store dealing in second hand gear is going to have overpriced crap. It's been a while since I've offered more than a cursory glance at instruments in a pawn shop, but them asking 350 for a Cort certainly wouldn't hurt independent music stores.
They can take our xpatsxpats, but they can never take our FREEDOM!!!!!

Return to “General Discussion”