Drummers: Ride cymbal survey...

Talk about all things percussion!

Moderators: girlthatdrums, Admin Team

What brand is your ride?

Total votes: 0

zhing

Postby zhing » July 13th, 2007, 10:38pm

Zildjian 20" A Custom medium. Purchased from BDO, about 4 years ago for $175.00. Has great stick sound, little wash. Don't really like the bell all that much.

zhing

Postby zhing » July 13th, 2007, 11:04pm

ride cymbals seem to be the hardest part of the kit to buy. They don't sound the same once I get them home.

stuckdog1976
got a better title for $10.00

Re: Drummers: Ride cymbal survey...

Postby stuckdog1976 » February 19th, 2009, 3:38pm

I have a 20" Zildjian K Pre-aged dry light ride that I hang a rattle on - I love the sound but it does not really project. we play blues and rock so I can get by with it.......

I also have a 21" Sabian HHX - it pings more but the bell is wrinkled and doesn't give a good bell sound.

I have been thinking about getting a 20 or 21" K Custom - something with a little more body as My current K needs to project just a little more. I like washy ness and bell at the same time - its hard to find both in the same cymbal
Take nothing I say on here seriously...........seriously........
"Thanks for the sound advice Momma............."

olddrummer

Postby olddrummer » February 19th, 2009, 7:17pm

I have a 22"Zildjian .I got in the early 70's.I have used it litterally for everthing from polka's to zeppelin.I have no idea of the model back then you just bought Zildjian's. The price was reasonable I traded an extra bass drum for it. Depending how and where you hit it it can go from almost a ping to a nice washy sound I would not change a thing about it.

masonni

Postby masonni » February 21st, 2009, 11:34am

Haha!

I have an update....

I now only own 2 Rides.

My main one is a 21" Z Custom Mega Bell Ride (Told you I would get it someday...)
I use it for Rock, Pop, Blues, Country, Metal and somtimes Punk.
I think I paid $188 for it from Zildjian.

For everything else I use my 20" K Pre-Aged Dry Light Ride.

jacobimMUGATU
Location: At the sobriety checkpoint, giving you the finger...

Postby jacobimMUGATU » February 21st, 2009, 12:07pm

I used to bang on a 22" sabian Paragon Ride, and let me tell you I loved it for about a year or so. The reality is I only play small shows so I don't need anything of that magnitude and let me tell you it could cut through anything (almost to the point of annoyance for my uses). So I sold that off and now I use the 18" Paragon Crash/Ride and love it. I have completely dumbed my set down and I am really happy with it that way.

Ben

Postby Ben » February 21st, 2009, 2:53pm

My main is a Zilco 20" - probably medium weight. Nice balanced sound, though there's a funky fundamental happening I wish I could attentuate. Nice wash, controlled bell/ping. It's a Canadian Zildjian. Payed $70 from a friend.

This replaces an interesting but limited Tyrko (Sonor - 21" I think). Very heavy. Good for rock or trashy colors, but not too versatile. Looks great - funky green oxidization. I think I payed $30 back in the early ebay days.

I've always wanted a nice glassy 18" vintage Zil.
Last edited by Ben on February 23rd, 2009, 1:17am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is strange. Life is good. Life is all that it should be.

Vegas
PUNKASFUX!

Postby Vegas » February 22nd, 2009, 4:42pm

Zildjian A 24" med.
couple years old, still very nice. found it on ebay for $175 total.
monster cymbal, great stick sound. nice "washy" ping sound, not too thin souding. I use my ride as a crash alot so that's important. Wish it had a better bell, still keep my 22" A rock ride around for studio bell stuff.

mojophilter

Re:

Postby mojophilter » February 23rd, 2009, 3:41pm

zeppelined wrote:My ride is so old that all the labels have long since worn off. No idea who made it. It's thick and gives a nice clear ping without too much wash. The one I'm actually using for Transonics recording is whatever Bruce has with his Slingerland kit in our studio/practice space. It's ok, thinner and brighter, but too washy for me. Again, no idea on cost/manufacturer.

I'm not much of a gear whore. :-) I pretty much play whatever is put in front of me.

I'm pretty sure the one you play is a B8. This was quite a while ago that I think I saw it written somewhere on it.(I could definitely be wrong) As I recall, you wouldn't play the Zildjian medium A when put in front of you. :wink: (cost me a $100 - I like the bell a little better than the custom As)

Bruce has a set of Sabian AAs that you play as well. (I'm not sure of the size)

I never really cared about cymbals at all until I went out and bought some. Now it causes me physical pain to hear lousy cymbals.

dutch
lamb head.

Postby dutch » April 11th, 2009, 1:47pm

my main ride is a 20" ziljian (i think medium A, it has never had the makings on it, it's prob from the 80's) my other (which i sadly don't use as often as i'd like) is a 18" Ziljian K, just too small for my kit, if i pull out the Rogers i'll use the K, it's a great jazz/small venue ride

ZeppoZilla

Postby ZeppoZilla » May 14th, 2009, 10:14am

22" Zildjian Ping ride- oh how I love thee.

120.- used of CL a few months back. It was listed for a few weeks, one day at 150 and then 140, and then 150..... Got it for 120 (woot!)

Cuts live, sounds nice and true to the name, great ping. Clear clean bell tone. It is heavy and doesn't sway on the stand a bit. Good for light '"pretty" sections, or flat out rocking sections.

What I would change:

onehandclapping

Postby onehandclapping » May 14th, 2009, 9:16pm

20" Meinl Byzance Sweet Jazz Ride for jazz, jam, funk...
Had it for a year or so - love it.

20" Sabian (AA Medium?) Ride for heavier stuff
This one's about 15 years old.

I don't remember the cost of either one.
Jayme - Drummer
www.vivanoir.com

Return to “Percussion Forum”