Finally, some *really* nice looking e-drums...

Talk about all things percussion!

Moderators: girlthatdrums, Admin Team

chrisp2u

Finally, some *really* nice looking e-drums...

Postby chrisp2u » January 14th, 2010, 4:08pm

http://www.pearldrum.com/epro-preview.html

Wonder how they play and what the price point is. I don't think the module sounds as good as the top of the line Roland module judging from this clip... some sounds (like hi-hats) seem to choke out unnaturally quite a bit. Maybe that's something they can improve over time. The samples themselves seem pretty decent though. Definitely raises the bar in many ways though. Interesting to see how Roland and Yamaha respond. Can even switch the heads to convert to an A-kit.
---
c

girlthatdrums
No, I was being a jerk...

Re: Finally, some *really* nice looking e-drums...

Postby girlthatdrums » January 14th, 2010, 6:04pm

Pintech has been doing them for years for Pearl, along with any other kit you want to ship them under the "Acoustech" name. The technology for the Acoustech line and all of Pintech's drums is licensed from Roland, so the feel is very close and of course the price is much much better.

https://www.pintechworld.com/shop/scrip ... product=10

chrisp2u

Postby chrisp2u » January 14th, 2010, 10:31pm

Looks like $3200 for the complete kit at MF.... which is nearly $2k less than the complete Roland TD-20 set. It's about time someone lowered the price bar for a decent set of e-drums. There's really no reason they should cost as much as they do, other than people have always paid the price.

It also irks me how these companies seem unwilling to create a drum brain that is on par with current technology... whether it be connectivity, interface, memory, format capability or whatever. They're the technical equivalent of something from 1998 with a bunch of proprietary BS. Yamaha and Roland should especially be embarrassed since they sell keyboards which are far more cutting edge in nearly every aspect and likely just as difficult to produce from an R&D/production standpoint, but cost about 1/3 of what their e-kits do.
---
c

girlthatdrums
No, I was being a jerk...

Postby girlthatdrums » January 15th, 2010, 11:34am

IMO, buying a drum brain is moot since you can just get a TMC and wire it up to BFD and get whatever drum sounds and samples you want. I sold my Roland module a few years ago and have never looked back.

chrisp2u

Postby chrisp2u » January 15th, 2010, 12:30pm

girlthatdrums wrote:IMO, buying a drum brain is moot since you can just get a TMC and wire it up to BFD and get whatever drum sounds and samples you want. I sold my Roland module a few years ago and have never looked back.

Yeah, but that's prob beyond a lot of people... requires a lot more know-how, equipment, setup and maintenance than a majority of people are likely willing to put up with... especially for live use. These companies *should* be able to produce an out-of-the-box module that can load BFD (or whatever) samples is what I was making a point of. Their keyboards can... why not the drum modules? It's silly.
---
c

Taz
Tasty Ass Fills!!!

Postby Taz » January 19th, 2010, 2:22am

Isn't the whole point of getting e-drums is less shit to lug to a gig????

jem454

Postby jem454 » January 19th, 2010, 8:06am

chrisp2u wrote:
girlthatdrums wrote:IMO, buying a drum brain is moot since you can just get a TMC and wire it up to BFD and get whatever drum sounds and samples you want. I sold my Roland module a few years ago and have never looked back.

Yeah, but that's prob beyond a lot of people... requires a lot more know-how, equipment, setup and maintenance than a majority of people are likely willing to put up with... especially for live use. These companies *should* be able to produce an out-of-the-box module that can load BFD (or whatever) samples is what I was making a point of. Their keyboards can... why not the drum modules? It's silly.
---
c

There is one called the Muse Receptor, although it is a little pricey. Electronic drums are really a rip off and I agree they should be much cheaper. I built my own out of an accoustic set with chokeable real cymbals that would put the td-20 to shame.
Cost me total about $150 without module.

masonni

Postby masonni » February 13th, 2010, 1:52am

Saw the demo live at namm...
If you are thinking of buying this kit....buy a Roland.

Oh, and check this out....

It's the EXACT same mod, just in black not red....

Taz
Tasty Ass Fills!!!

Postby Taz » February 13th, 2010, 5:51am

Wow what hunks of SHIT!!!!!!

Played them and after re-watching the Pearl "official" video where they sped-up the playing, whatever...they still sound like electronic drums.

NICE TRY PEARL! Kinda like the Demon Pedal you shoved down everyone's throat with huge pub prior to the release. And then when customers got it... THEY HATED IT.

V-DRUMS bitches! And that's if you have to play e-drums for whatever reason.

And that's my 2 cents on that.

drumthoughts

Postby drumthoughts » September 3rd, 2015, 2:39pm

I have used TD-12 for years live.....good tweaking on the module and a good sound man on the board and it sounds good up front..
Who in the area is knowledgeable and capable of installing triggers in A-drums.

Return to “Percussion Forum”