Mic/PA setup for bluegrass

PA systems, mic's, home recording, pro recording, lighting, everything that is Pro Audio!

Moderators: Thor, Admin Team

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Mic/PA setup for bluegrass

Postby sevenyearsdown » February 7th, 2013, 9:52am

I have a four piece acoustic/old time band that will getting ready to gig this summer. We never practice with amplification (not even for vocals), and we've played a handful of open mics this way. However I realize that this wont work for every gig. We would like to do an all mic style setup - with probably a single vocal mic (2 and three part harmonies) and a couple of mics for instruments.

I have a couple of condenser mics to play with, but only a shitty PA. Do any of you sound guys have any experience with a setup like I'm describing? It's pretty standard for our type of music, however it's not all that common around these parts. Any tips on gear (mic preamps? mixers?), setup, mic placement would be helpful.

crentist
Beautiful Lunatic

Re: Mic/PA setup for bluegrass

Postby crentist » February 7th, 2013, 11:27am

I can work with you on this. I have stuff..
I don't know if they really don't sound all that different in a band context or if years of playing in bands with guitarists have honed my guitarist-ignoring skills to perfection.

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Postby sevenyearsdown » February 7th, 2013, 12:15pm

I have a simple sketch of the setup I'd like to try. I was gonna try an MXL 990 for vocals, and a couple of SM57's for side instrument mics. Shuold we make a date for your practice space?

crentist
Beautiful Lunatic

Postby crentist » February 7th, 2013, 12:57pm

Sure, we can test it out, try a few more things.
I don't know if they really don't sound all that different in a band context or if years of playing in bands with guitarists have honed my guitarist-ignoring skills to perfection.

zeeshan030

Postby zeeshan030 » April 13th, 2015, 1:30am

I have a couple of condenser mics to play with, but only a shitty PA. Do any of you sound guys have any experience with a setup like I'm describing? It's pretty standard for our type of music, however it's not all that common around these parts. Any tips on gear (mic preamps? mixers?), setup, mic placement would be helpful.

Return to “Pro Audio and Recording”