Seven , So Low , and Ida

Talk about everything related to guitar and bass.

Moderators: guitarmartin416, Admin Team

Boomtwang

Seven , So Low , and Ida

Postby Boomtwang » October 18th, 2016, 10:47pm

Hey guys hope all is well , I purposely selected your WNY's names because I am very much into the bottom level of sound. Seven your a consistent bassist musician regarding previous advice on this site . Oh also I am happy to hear that you still have possession of your Upton bass . I have a cheapo made in China and just love it , I put a stationary bridge on it and it freaken stays in tune . SO LOW you are sick on all your bass work , Ida you are much better than I on bass and your a very cool lady . OK here is were I need your advise ( Seven , SO LOW , and Ida , anybody else too ) I have an awesome 2001 Fender MIJ reissue 51 P-Bass I want to bump it up were it has more balls . as of now I put on a set of Rotosounds 66 , I still want a more bottom ballsy sound , in fact my Squire P- Bass has a much better tone and heavier sound straight off the wall , seriously I just added a strap and plugged it in , I can even get a piano sound from it " no pick " The same satisfaction with my Squire fretless ( Jaco Bass ) right off the wall bingo I'm happy ...Thank You

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Re: Seven , So Low , and Ida

Postby sevenyearsdown » October 19th, 2016, 3:09pm

The tone difference you hear is likely because the '51 has the original style singe coil pickup, and your Squier has the modern split coil pickup. They are suppose to sound different.

There are many companies that make drop in replacements for the 51 style that are hotter than the vintage style. I would start looking into that option and doing some research.

Boomtwang

Postby Boomtwang » October 20th, 2016, 5:39pm

Thank you Seven , I did hear about " drop in pick ups " however I was hoping / asking you for your personal advice , along with what make and gage of strings regarding the 51 P-bass . Only because I know you have more experience and knowledge regarding this subject . Saying that I should tell you I am pre-occupied writing creating on piano , drums / percussion , and of course electric & acoustic bass . I'm completely solo , in the past I have been through it all . No more rock star dreaming ect . I just love music , especially instrumental besides my grammar sucks . I'm a happy camper with my own musical desire " Originality is an ear catcher "

P. S. If anybody else has some advise , Please jump in ....Thank You Buffalo Musicians

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Postby sevenyearsdown » October 21st, 2016, 8:09am

Well personally I have played flatwound strings for years now on bass guitar, which is what I would put on a '51 if I had one. However there isn't a string change that is going to make a vintage wound single coil pickup sound like a modern split coil pickup. It is what it is. I'm sure there is a reason Leo Fender changed the design to the modern split.

I haven't played bass guitar gigs in years, but I was using DR HiBeam Flats (45-65-85-105) when I was busy. My main P-bass is still strung with them. They felt the best of any string I ever played. The only negative is that the E strings seem to die quickly. You may or may not like flatwound strings however. BTW you should be setting your bass up anytime you change string types.

But again, I think the fundamental issue for you is that the pickups are two different animals. Look at it as a positive, as you have two different tonal options as starting points. I think it would be a mistake to try to make the two sound the same.

Boomtwang

Postby Boomtwang » October 22nd, 2016, 9:14pm

Seven you nailed it ! let me say that I have 5 electric bass's and one acoustic ( upright ) I know I can never get any two bass's to sound exactly like each other , in fact that would be ignorant . I do however appreciate your input / opinion such as I don't know the actual difference between flats and round , yet I may already have the difference and just judge by the likes of my personal sound that fit that particular tune I'm creating . I know two of my guitars have coated strings ( came that way ) one electric and the upright . Seven I have changed strings on three of my electrics and never considered to do a set up , now I will get some on line knowledge regarding a set up , yet if you have any on the spot must do's /short cuts let me know ? Funny thing with me is I have more confidence messing with the UPRIGHT than the electric , when I received my Upright they advertised it was already set up , com'on , all the way from China to my front door I found it hard to believe . The main concern I had was the soundpost , which stayed in place because I applied tension as I basically lined up the strings to tune it up . Just recently I put on a stationary bridge and it seems to hold it's own , the strings are much closer to the board too , it sounds and feel nice . So as of now I need to get educated about Flats , Rounds , along with gages . I do like coated strings but sound is priority and I do want various sounds per each bass . I am looking into a stronger drop in single coil pick up . Seven , once again thank you ...

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Postby sevenyearsdown » October 24th, 2016, 7:22am

There are plenty of online articles for doing a proper setup. Setting up a bass guitar is actually pretty easy. Just make sure you have the correct tools needed.

Boomtwang

Postby Boomtwang » October 27th, 2016, 10:50pm

Hello Seven thanx again for your in put , I'm still researching " drop in single coil pick ups " along with strings too . Now I starting to realize I may want / need three upgrades for the 51 P-Bass , Pick up , Strings , and a higher quality bridge . Now I don't know if I have a problem regarding the bridge because on the 51 P-Bass the strings follow through actual body ? Just thought I 'd run that by you , Originally I should have asked you what would you do if you were to bump up a MIJ reissue Fender 51 P-Bass ? I just want a bit more bottom to it , I go through a HARTKEY Kickback 15 which is awesome and plenty of power for my studio projects . In fact I never had the volume above level 4 . one foot note here , as I previously mentioned I switched out my adjustable bridge on the up right with a stationary one , well I'm not sure if its my imagination but the upright feels and sounds so much better , I mean it is actually louder with better tone as if I'm going through a small amp .
P.S. as far as your in put : " Have the correct tools needed . " I will invest in that before I mess with any electric bass , thanx again

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Postby sevenyearsdown » October 28th, 2016, 7:45am

Regarding the '51:

It sounds to me like you fell in love with the look or idea of having a vintage style bass, but didn't fully understand what you were getting. You get a '51 reissue, you get what they had back then. As far as the bridge goes I'm going to assume that it's the two saddle design that you don't like. The modern P-basses all have 4 individual, adjustable saddles. Setting up a two saddle bridge is much trickier. Modern P-basses will also string through body (at least mine does). I'm not certain on the less expensive models, but the MIA standards do. A pickup change again will be easy, but you're not going to make the '51 sound like a modern P.

It's like you bought a fully restored model-T, and are complaining that it doesn't have an automatic transmission, power steering, and ABS. You are trying to make the '51 something that it isn't. Before you bastardize a perfectly good bass, I would suggest selling it to buy another modern P-bass, because that is what you keep describing. Again, there's a reason Leo Fender made all of those changes that are incorporated into the modern Standard Precision bass, and they are the things you keep comparing your '51 to. Sell the '51 to someone who will appreciate it for what it is, and just go buy an American standard. Problem solved. If I had that bass, I'd do absolutely nothing to it other than put flat wound strings on it, set it up, and play it.

Regarding the upright:

Opinions vary on the adjustable vs solid bridge, but it's logical to conclude that a solid piece of wood is going transmit the vibration better than one that's chopped in half. If it feels better, than that is more likely a function of the height of it being different than how you had your adjustable bridge set. There are many variables that affect the volume of an upright, but in general: higher string height = more volume.

An adjustable bridge is nice in four season climates because your bass is going to expand and contract with the seasons, and you can compensate for these changes by adjusting the bridge. Also, if you ever make a drastic string change - you're kind of fucked without an adjustable bridge. However if you are in love with your setup and string selection, then a fixed bridge will serve you well.

Boomtwang

Postby Boomtwang » October 28th, 2016, 10:11am

Seven , it looks like you set me straight meaning I most likely will keep the 51 as original as should be by Leo's creation , however I will try the flats for sure before I purchase a single coil pick up also your right on regarding the two saddle bridge , I wont touch that . . about five years ago I did have a custom made three ply tortoise pick guard replaced on the original orange slab body , I still have the original black guard stocked away . This 51 looks very cool with it's maple neck , in fact it resembles the Fender " Prince " used . I do have an unopened set of black nylons , I'm still debating what bass they will go on ? Don't mean to trip you up , I still will put on them DR HiBeam flats ( 45 - 65 - 85 - 105 ) I still have the original Fender strings that came with the 51 some were ? Would you know or guess what gage they are ? I know I should have been more educated regarding all this stuff , this is why I log on to this site . Oh man I just realized some thing , after I put on them Roundsound 66 on the 51 I never re- set it up . Geeze I must get the proper tools before I purchase a pick up .... I need to get my shit together , thanx again Seven

Ida
has opinions, so the rest of us don't have to....

Postby Ida » November 3rd, 2016, 12:13am

Flattered anyone asked me my opinion at all regarding bass setup/sound. I have a 57 reissue and it doesn't sound the way I thought it would. I fell in love with the look and the idea of having a vintage bass. I tried a heavier gauge flat wound string...La Bella Jamerson Deep Talkin' flats...but I wrestled with that heavy of a gauge and reverted back to standard gauge. The only aspect I really like about that bass is the "reverse" tuning keys. So I play it less, but it is a lovely decoration. Anyway, I will defer any more advise to seven. Peace.

Sue
Welcoming Committee - Chairman

Postby Sue » November 9th, 2016, 5:30pm

Just buy a new bass that actually sounds good. Problem solved! :D

Boomtwang

Postby Boomtwang » November 16th, 2016, 7:32pm

Hello Seven , finally made time to get back on site , I have another quick question as I'm about to purchase a Bass tool kit for set ups I noticed on ebay that there are many tool kits to choose from Cruztool , Fender Acoustic , Gigmate , Ernieball , ect.. which would you recommend ? Also regarding the solid bridge on my upright your right /I also got lucky too because the solid bridge came with the up right along with an adjustable bridge with two sets of Morano coated strings . As far as climate change I'm a bit fortunate to have a small , very small temperature controlled studio set at 61 degrees . Again that's how I immediately knew my up right sounded much better as soon as I put on the solid bridge . Seven every thing you have stated to me is right on Thank You ! Last but not least Ida , your 57 re-issue must have a second chance ? have you asked Seven for any advise ? Ida , the day you posted your 57 situation I read a article from my Bass Player MAY issue page 24 regarding Flatwound strings , what was funny was what James Jamerson did when one of his favorite strings broke , James sent the string back to La Bella hoping it could be welded back together . I thought that was pretty amazing because it showed how much a certain string can effect a bass player , Oh Seven , that is the same article regarding what type of flats are best and or for what purpose they show a ton of various flats . I' m leaning toward Tomastik - Infield JF344 Jazz Flats I know they are a bit pricy , but I love sound and it is what it is . Who knows maybe out of mood swings eventually I just may end up buying the whole lot ? of course not at once I'm not rich .... I will also take your advise on your personal Flats " DR Hi Beams 45 - 65 - 85 - 105 "
I'm out , hey everybody be safe

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Postby sevenyearsdown » November 17th, 2016, 8:37am

Without knowing what comes with those setup sets, I can't really say. I've had the benefit of access to a guitar workshop for the majority of my life, so I never had to purchase any tools myself. Make sure you have a good set of screw drivers, allen wrenches, and a heavy straight edge.

I don't think Ida needs my advice.

BTW I never suggested that you should automatically roll with DR's. I just happen to like them. Tomastik, Labella, and Rotos are all popular. It just depends on personal preference.

With regards to your studio environment and your upright's health, humidity is much more important than temperature. That is, the balance of humidity. If you're running a forced air system that does not have an inline humidifier, I would be careful. Personally I keep a humidifier in my bass room during the winter months. I would encourage you to jump on over to talkbass.com for a wealth of information on these topics. They have real pros, luthiers, etc. in the double bass forums there. Not just weekend warrior hacks like me.

BuffaloBass

Postby BuffaloBass » May 23rd, 2017, 11:21am

make sure the pickup poles are around 3 - 3.5mm off the strings. It makes a HUGE difference with some of them.

Return to “Guitar and Bass Forum”