Suburban Guitar Repair - Happy Waiting!

Talk about everything related to guitar and bass.

Moderators: guitarmartin416, Admin Team

Smedley

Suburban Guitar Repair - Happy Waiting!

Postby Smedley » August 9th, 2013, 3:45pm

Just a word of warning if you're thinking about taking your guitar to Pete Schmidt at Suburban Guitar Repair. I brought in a guitar to him back in September of last year. He told me he'd get to it in a couple of weeks. Nearly 3 months go by and not a word so I call him and he tells me he just looked at it for the first time the previous day and didn't want to work on it, as Dino from Dino's Guitar and Amplifier Repair had mutilated it (the electronics were all messed up) and Pete didn't want to try and repair someone else's mistake.

After a couple of other guys tried to repair my guitar with no success (it was a Sustainiac and Ghost MIDI install), I called Pete back and practically begged him to work on it. He agreed to do it and proceeded to hold on to the guitar for another 4 months. When I emailed him and expressed my displeasure of having to wait so long, he got offended and told me to come get the guitar.

Maybe Pete was extracting revenge on me for my having taken my guitar to another repairman. I don't know at this point. If there is a competent, mentally stable, responsible guitar repairman in Western NY, let me know.

Thomas.bassman

Re: Suburban Guitar Repair - Always a Great Experince

Postby Thomas.bassman » August 10th, 2013, 3:30pm

I have always found Peter Schmidt to be an upstanding and honorable businessman and person. His work is always 1st rate. It sounds like you have quite a few grievances with many of the local shops … could it be karma? I guess we’ll be able to judge that in your next response.

Mark Umphred-Luthier

Re: Suburban Guitar Repair - Happy Waiting!

Postby Mark Umphred-Luthier » August 11th, 2013, 8:07am

Smedley wrote:Just a word of warning if you're thinking about taking your guitar to Pete Schmidt at Suburban Guitar Repair. I brought in a guitar to him back in September of last year. He told me he'd get to it in a couple of weeks. Nearly 3 months go by and not a word so I call him and he tells me he just looked at it for the first time the previous day and didn't want to work on it, as Dino from Dino's Guitar and Amplifier Repair had mutilated it (the electronics were all messed up) and Pete didn't want to try and repair someone else's mistake.

After a couple of other guys tried to repair my guitar with no success (it was a Sustainiac and Ghost MIDI install), I called Pete back and practically begged him to work on it. He agreed to do it and proceeded to hold on to the guitar for another 4 months. When I emailed him and expressed my displeasure of having to wait so long, he got offended and told me to come get the guitar.

Maybe Pete was extracting revenge on me for my having taken my guitar to another repairman. I don't know at this point. If there is a competent, mentally stable, responsible guitar repairman in Western NY, let me know.

The best luthier in WNY- Mark Umphred 716-418-3996

Smedley

Postby Smedley » August 31st, 2013, 4:15pm

Thomas, prior to a couple of years ago I never had these problems, not to this degree at least. Dino I have only dealt with since last year. Charles for maybe 3 or 4 years on and off and Pete for nearly a decade. Don't give me this karma crap, I've been living here in WNY since 1981. Re: Dino, I only had 2 dealings with him. The first was okay the 2nd was a major disaster.

As for Charles, I've brought a few things into him over the last few years. He seemed competent (barely) for at least some basic stuff and he is much closer to home for me than Pete. Charles was always late on getting stuff done but never like this year.

As for Pete, he was always late on getting stuff done as well, sometimes very late, but seemed pretty competent, although he couldn't fix my Sustainiac completely a few years back which is why I eventually tried Dino last year. I think Pete was pissed off at me that I took my guitar to someone else (Dino) who mutilated my guitar, and now I was asking Pete to fix some other guy's mess. Pete even expressed his dismay at having to fix someone else's "spaghetti." So, Pete made me pay for it. That is my guess. How the hell would you feel if someone hung on to your favorite guitar for 6 freaking months?

So, screw you for in essence, either calling me a liar or an asshole. I am neither. I have simply been screwed over by liars and assholes.

TobaccoSoup

Postby TobaccoSoup » September 1st, 2013, 1:46am

Pete is my go-to guitar repair man, and has been for decades. He saved one of my guitars that is probably worth as much or more than Smedley's entire collection of instruments - including kazoos.

Time, Quality, Price. You can only choose two.

Here ya go Smedley, this should help you on your way - because nobody but Smedley can do satisfactory work on time for Smedley:

http://www.stewmac.com/

gjcamann

Postby gjcamann » September 2nd, 2013, 9:54am

I can't blame someone for being reluctant to work on wierd stuff like that. Maybe you need a luther that specializes in that sort of stuff. Maybe you can mail your guitar to this guy.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/I806rVEo_jY[/youtube]
http://youtu.be/I806rVEo_jY

Sue
Welcoming Committee - Chairman

Postby Sue » September 4th, 2013, 2:41pm

I've used Pete and he did an excellent job on my super awesome bass, it did not take any longer than he stated. Not to troll, but why would you wait three months before getting in touch with him if he said a couple weeks?

Smedley

Postby Smedley » November 18th, 2013, 9:47pm

Sinister, what the hell are you talking about shortcomings? What shortcomings would those be, believing people when they tell me that they will fix my guitar in a few weeks time and instead it turns into 6 months? How is that MY shortcoming? Please explain.

I told the story accurately - I did not lie. Prior to 2012 I have not had problems with Pete, except for normally taking about a month or two longer with repairs then he would initially tell me. I went to him for many years. However, when I brought him the Jackson he just set it off to the side and didn't even look at it for several months. So, Sinister, go screw yourself. YOU were not there, none of you. Why the hell would I lie?

No, I have not had these problems except for the past year. No, I haven't grown horns in that time, I'm the same dude I've always been. Are you so naïve that you don't think your guitar repairman guru can ever do wrong? Pete held on to my guitar for 6 freaking months. Do you comprende? SIX FREAKING MONTHS!!!!! If it was your guitar you nimrods would be singing a different tune.

I've already written a detailed account of what happened. In all my years of playing guitar I have never been so thoroughly reamed in the space of one year. No it is not a pattern and just feeling the need to have to say that pisses me off to no end, because I'm the one who was wronged, YOU weren't there, and yet somehow I'm the bad guy. I'm just telling the truth. If you don't like it, it doesn't make it any less truthful.

Again, to summarize: Charles is barely competent and will always make you wait longer than he tells you, but not to the tune of several months. Pete is competent but severely screwed me over on the Jackson, again, probably because he was pissed that I took my guitar to someone else and brought him the wreckage. Sorry, he's not freaking god, he's human and he screwed me over. As for Dino, he is a hack, liar and a thief.

Smedley

Postby Smedley » November 18th, 2013, 9:52pm

BTW Sue, I waited around 3 months to contact Pete because I know that he is normally behind and that this particular job was difficult. I called him a few times after that point but it was always the same thing yet, I haven't gotten to it yet. He said that it was so complicated that he had to do it when he had free time. Excuse the hell out of me, but aren't you supposed to do the guitars in the order you receive them? Is it right to make me wait months because the job is hard? Or was he punishing me because I took the guitar to someone else first?

Smedley

Postby Smedley » November 18th, 2013, 10:00pm

"Here ya go Smedley, this should help you on your way - because nobody but Smedley can do satisfactory work on time for Smedley:"

To hell with you Tobbaco Soup. Like I said, if you think that Pete holding on to my guitar for 6 months is cool, then you have a pretty twisted definition of the word "cool." Like I said, I went to Pete for years without a problem, except for having to wait a month or two to get my axe done. Again, whether or not my words offend you or not has ZERO bearing on the truthfulness of what I said.

Sue
Welcoming Committee - Chairman

Postby Sue » November 19th, 2013, 10:34am

Smedley wrote:BTW Sue, I waited around 3 months to contact Pete because I know that he is normally behind and that this particular job was difficult. I called him a few times after that point but it was always the same thing yet, I haven't gotten to it yet. He said that it was so complicated that he had to do it when he had free time. Excuse the hell out of me, but aren't you supposed to do the guitars in the order you receive them? Is it right to make me wait months because the job is hard? Or was he punishing me because I took the guitar to someone else first?

It took you nearly three months to respond to my post, am I seeing a pattern here?

geenie67

Postby geenie67 » December 15th, 2013, 11:11am

Hi. Just caught this post. Try my shop, Guitar Banjo Works 5543 Main Street. Williamsville, New York. Phone 912-4052 anytime till 11:00
pm. Turn around time on acoustic/electric guitar, bass, mandolin, banjo, resonator, and ukulele setups, repairs (broken head-stocks, re-frets, body cracks, electronics, nut, and saddle work, bridge repairs, banjo railroad spikes, or head replacement, and installation of K & K Piezo pickups is 7-10 days, even though I have about 15 to 20 guitars, or banjos at a time in for service. My shop hours are 12:00 to 8:00 pm Monday trough Friday. Saturdays 12:00 to 3;00 pm ( I'm always there working from 8:30 am till 10:pm every day including Sunday.
I have an assistant ,college schooled in Luthiery, that performs his work to the high caliber I demand. I'm very pleased with his performance, and dedication to extracting from an instrument, it's maximum performance, playability, and finish. Major repairs such as neck re-sets, restorations, and finish work naturally take more time to perform them correctly. A 1916 Gibson L-1 with a shrunken back, separated tailpiece/bridge pin assembly, and major cracks to the top, and sides took 9 months. Fixtures had to be fabricated to reform it back to it's original shape. Steam was delicately applied to reshape the wood back to contour slowly with a few days between applications. Finally the final set-up of the instrument . It played like butter and sounded great.
I do this work because I love it. We both have fun every day working on a fantastic array of instruments. The smiles, and thank yous from my customers make life a fantastic adventure; ever evolving to a high plateau.
Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year!

Return to “Guitar and Bass Forum”