Putnam Guitars - Rip Off Artist

Talk about everything related to guitar and bass.

Moderators: guitarmartin416, Admin Team

Smedley

Putnam Guitars - Rip Off Artist

Postby Smedley » August 15th, 2015, 2:13pm

I have gone to Mike Putnam for the past 2 years for various guitar repair work, mostly basic setups. The results have been mixed at best. He's done a few basic setups that were okay. He fixed the electronics on my Musicians Friend Rogue electric sitar for the main pickups, but he wound up disconnecting the pickup to the sympathetic strings. As I don't use the sympathetic strings much I didn't tell him about it and let it go. However, Mike just ripped me off for $200, more or less, and did it with a smile on his face.

During the last week of April of this year (2015) I brought him two guitars to work on: a red Jackson Dinky copy and an Ibanez 7 string. On the Dinky copy, I wrote down instructions for him to install my Sustainiac, route out cavities for the battery compartment and the Sustainiac electronics. He was also supposed to install a Roland GK-33. Additonally, the 18th fret of the 1st string was fretting out when bending, and fretting out on other places on the neck. I wrote all of this down for him on paper, as I normally do with all guitars I bring for repair. He also had to fill the neck pocket screw holes and drill new ones, as the alignment was a few millimeters off.

For the Ibanez, he was supposed to do a basic setup and fix the tremolo bar, which was very loose.

I forgot to include a pickup for the red Dinky copy and one other part, so, in fairness, I'll shave a couple of weeks off of the 3 1/2 months that he had possession of my guitars, so I'll say that he had them for 3 months. He told me about maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago (around the middle of July) that he had finished the Ibanez 7 string but hadn't gotten to the Dinky copy. He said that I could come and pick up the Ibanez 7 string if I wanted, but as I live in Orchard Park and he's located in Lockport, I told him I'd wait another couple of weeks for him to finish the Dinky copy so I would not have to make an extra trip.

So, a week ago he tells me that both guitars are finally ready. I go to his house last Saturday (August 8th) and tried out the guitars for a few minutes. They seemed okay, but as you know if you've played for awhile, you really have to take a guitar home and wail on it for an hour or two or more to know if it's working right or not.

So, I take the guitars home and tried the red Dinky copy with the Sustainiac. I immediately realized that when the volume control was not at 10 (full volume) and I muted the strings, the Sustainiac would squeal. Mike had told me that he had problems with the Sustainiac squealing but finally got it working. Well, it was not working properly - it was squealing like a pig.

Additionally, he had not done a thing regarding the 18th fret and the other frets fretting out on the Dinky copy. Also, the 3 open bass strings were buzzing, which had not been a problem before. The neck was the same, if not worse, compared to when I gave it to him back in April. I then examined the neck curvature and saw that there was absolutely no bow to the neck. I turned the truss rod around a quarter turn and the open bass strings were a little better, but they still buzzed when the Sustainiac was on. The Sustainiac used to be in another guitar and did not cause string buzzing when activated. I did not want to mess with the truss rod anymore as I'm not a repairman.

The Ibanez 7 string was also in worse condition than when I brought it to him in April. The output jack was loose and the signal consequently intermittent. It had been fine when I brought it into him. The 6th string was buzzing, both open and on almost every fret, which had not been happening before I brought it to him. Also, the intonation was off on every string; again, it was worse than before I brought it to him . Also , as with the Dinky copy, there was zero bow to the neck. As well, the Floyd Rose was not flush with the body. It took me about an hour to get the springs in the back just right so that the Floyd was flush with the body. Unfortunately, it did not help the screwed up intonation.

Mike charged me $400 for the two guitars. He told me that he shaved off some expenses, otherwise it would've been a little more money. Now, he did fix the trem on the Ibanez 7 string. He did route out the cavities for the Sustainiac electronics and battery compartment and installed the Sustainiac in the red Dinky copy, and he did fill in the neck pocket holes and drill new ones on the Dinky. However, the setups on both guitars were worse than when I gave them to him in April, the output jack was loose and intermittent on the Ibanez (it had been fine before) and the Sustainiac was not working properly on the Dinky copy. He charged me $400 for both guitars after having the guitars for 3 freaking months and both were not working properly.

I'm a very forgiving and mellow person; some might say I'm a chump. I can forgive one oversight. Guitars are wood and metal and sometimes things shift, etc., etc. I can even forgive two oversights or examples of shoddy (or no) workmanship. Many people would be freaking out and screaming at the guy over three issues. I was willing to give MIke the benefit of the doubt, but once I discovered issues 4, 5 and 6, I just couldn't take it anymore. I left a voicemail message for him a few days ago and told him not to work on two other guitars that I had dropped off when I had picked up the Dinky copy and Ibanez. I told him I was not happy and I was going to pick up the two new guitars I had dropped off, which I did do just a few hours ago (Saturday a.m., 8/15/15).

Frankly, after Mike dropped the ball as horrendously as he did, I was expecting that he would at least give me some of my money back, as he simply did not do all of the work that he was supposed to do, and even made the guitars worse in some respects. That didn't happen. He gave me some tips so that I could try to fix some of the issues myself. He stated that he was sorry that it turned out this way and that he hates it when customers aren't satisfied and when issues arise like this.

Well, if Mr. Putnam was truly sorry and really cared about customer satisfaction, he would've given me back some of the money I gave him. It will probably cost me from $150 to $200 to have the Sustainiac installed properly and to set up both guitars properly. He did say that if I changed my mind I could bring the guitars back to him and he will work on them for free. Of course, he knew that this would never happen after he dropped the ball as badly as he did.

When I didn't freak out on him earlier today, or even raise my voice or berate him in any way (other than calmly expressing my dissapointment at his workmanship), he got this weird smile on his face like, "Whoa, he didn't freak out on me, didn't physically assault me and didn't ask me for money back - I get to keep my $400, despite my shoddy workmanship." Maybe I was reading too much into his smirk as we parted ways. I know other guitarists who would've decked this little s.o.b. right on the spot.

The bottom line is, if he really cared about his workmanship and customer satisfaction, he would've given me back at least $150, if not $200. I just found a new repair guy in the Southtowns that I have never tried before. He claims to have done Sustainiac installs before. Mike was inexperienced re: Sustainiac installs and wasn't sure if he had crossed some wires (resulting in the squealing). If you are not 100% sure that you can do the job, don't take it on. I suppose it's partially my fault for putting my faith in him and being a chump.

BTW, if anyone wants to call me a liar or tell me that this is all somehow my fault, I would invite you to have coffee with me at the nearest Tim Hortons so I can look you square in the eyes and tell you to your face that Mike ripped me off and did shoddy work. No one is perfect, and just because he may have done a good job for you in the past does not mean he will not rip you off in the future, or rip someone else off. He did it to me. I have zero reason to lie. Before two years ago I never knew the guy.

Mike Putnam works a day job for the city, has a speaker business on the side that he's devoted to, has a wife, kids, dog and house. Apparently, his guitar and amp repair business is at the low end of his priority list. As I stated in the beginning, although he did do some okay setups for me prior to this fiasco, and he did do some of the work that I asked him to do 3 months ago back in April, the bottom line is, he ripped me off for at least $150, if not $200, and did it with a smile. If someone knowingly rips you off, that person has no conscience. By definition, that would make Mike Putnam a sociopath. Bring your guitars and amps to him at your own risk.

yellow ed
Fairly Handsome Overloard

Re: Putnam Guitars - Rip Off Artist

Postby yellow ed » August 16th, 2015, 12:36pm

Anyone bothering to read all that, bare in mind that all this user has done is come on here and slag on various guitar guys. So take that as you like.
They can take our xpatsxpats, but they can never take our FREEDOM!!!!!

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Postby sevenyearsdown » August 17th, 2015, 7:23am

Why would you take anything back to a guy you said had mixed results at best with? That's just dumb. Next time just burn a couple of hundreds. Electric guitars aren't that complicated.

Every time I read one of these I think I should start my own setup business. Setting up an electric guitar or bass is so easy. Why pay someone? They don't know how you want the instrument to feel anyway. Get a guide and practice on a beater. You'd be surprised how easy it is. It ain't putting a man on the moon.

yellow ed

Postby yellow ed » August 17th, 2015, 10:48am

sevenyearsdown wrote:Why would you take anything back to a guy you said had mixed results at best with? That's just dumb. Next time just burn a couple of hundreds. Electric guitars aren't that complicated.

Every time I read one of these I think I should start my own setup business. Setting up an electric guitar or bass is so easy. Why pay someone? They don't know how you want the instrument to feel anyway. Get a guide and practice on a beater. You'd be surprised how easy it is. It ain't putting a man on the moon.

Read his other posts. This is all he does.

I find it curious that someone would spend so much time and money and energy on having others not even be able to set up their instruments correctly when it's so easy to do oneself. Hence my caveat.

Smedley

Postby Smedley » August 18th, 2015, 3:58am

yellow ed wrote:Anyone bothering to read all that, bare in mind that all this user has done is come on here and slag on various guitar guys. So take that as you like.

Screw you asshole. Were you there? I repeat, were you there? I'm 56 years old and, prior to 3 years ago, NEVER had a problem with taking my guitars for repair. Who the hell do you think you are? Do I know you? Are you friends with any of these repair guys? Why don't we meet someplace so you can tell me face to face that I'm a liar. Have you ever been screwed over? Tell me genius, have you ever been ripped off? Are you calling me a liar? If you don't know me than all you are is a bullshit artist. Tell me genius, if I ask a guy to install a Sustainiac and it squeals like a pig, HOW IS THAT MY FAULT? Answer the question. My god, another piece of dung who blames the victim and KNOWS ZERO about the circumstances. Again, were you there? One more time genius, WERE YOU THERE? If you were not there, shut your freaking mouth you useless waste of flesh.
Last edited by Smedley on August 18th, 2015, 4:08am, edited 3 times in total.

Smedley

Postby Smedley » August 18th, 2015, 4:04am

yellow ed wrote:
sevenyearsdown wrote:Why would you take anything back to a guy you said had mixed results at best with? That's just dumb. Next time just burn a couple of hundreds. Electric guitars aren't that complicated.

I find it curious that someone would spend so much time and money and energy on having others not even be able to set up their instruments correctly when it's so easy to do oneself. Hence my caveat.

Can you install a Sustaniac? Can you do a refret? Can you install a Ghost MIDI system? If it's so easy, why don't you experiment on one of your guitars and tell me how it turns out. Moron.

Smedley

Postby Smedley » August 18th, 2015, 4:05am

yellow ed wrote:

yellow ed wrote:

Read his other posts. This is all he does. Are you calling me a liar? Because if you are, you need to call me a liar to my face.

Can you install a Sustaniac? Can you do a refret? Can you install a Ghost MIDI system? If it's so easy, why don't you experiment on one of your guitars and tell me how it turns out. Moron.

Smedley

Postby Smedley » August 18th, 2015, 4:05am

yellow ed wrote:

yellow ed wrote:

Can you install a Sustaniac? Can you do a refret? Can you install a Ghost MIDI system? If it's so easy, why don't you experiment on one of your guitars and tell me how it turns out. I find it curious that someone who I've never met can accuse and convict me. I find it funny that idiots like yourself can spew utter b.s. without knowing anything. I find it funny that I have to breathe the same airspace as judgmental, know-it-all pieces of crap who put their two cents into other people's business without ever having been present to witness the events that he spews bullshit about it. You are an utter moron and a punk. I swear to god, I'm the one who is out hundreds of dollars and a nothing like yourself comes along and sticks his nose in events that is none of his business.
Last edited by Smedley on August 18th, 2015, 4:29am, edited 1 time in total.

Smedley

Postby Smedley » August 18th, 2015, 4:17am

yellow ed wrote:Anyone bothering to read all that, bare in mind that all this user has done is come on here and slag on various guitar guys. So take that as you like.

Anyone reading this just bare in mind that this numbskull was not there. Anyone reading this just bare in mind that this moron doesn't have a clue as to what went down. Anyone reading this, ask yourself, do I sound like someone who doesn't know what he's talking about? If I ask a guy to fix a fret that's fretting out when I do a minor 3rd bend and after keeping the guitar for 3 MONTHS it still frets, HOW IS THAT MY FAULT? Why would I lie?

On the other hand, might it be possible that this shmuck who is accusing me of lying (despite the fact we have never met) is himself lying, perhaps because he is a friend of Putnam or one the other two clowns who screwed me over? Like I said, I'm 56 and beyond 3 years ago I NEVER HAD THESE PROBLEMS. Is it impossible to have a string of bad luck? Is it impossible that people might drop the ball, even if they usually do okay work? Hell, Obama bailed out the bankers to the tune of billions of dollars (instead of throwing them in jail), but it's impossible to be screwed over by some local guitar repair guys? If you weren't there, where the hell do you get off judging and convicting me? You don't. You're just some punk.

Smedley

Postby Smedley » August 18th, 2015, 4:22am

WERE YOU THERE PUNK?

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Postby sevenyearsdown » August 18th, 2015, 7:08am

Smedley wrote:
yellow ed wrote:

Actually I have done a refret before. They aren't difficult provided you have the correct tools.

If you spend a little time on your reading comprehension skills, you'll see that I stated that setups are easy (which they are). I didn't mention anything about all of that phony bologna bullshit wiring you are having installed.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit! :D

yellow ed

Postby yellow ed » August 18th, 2015, 10:38am

Nobody cares that you're 56. Nobody called you a liar. I don't know any of the repair guys in the area.

What I said, is the only things that you have ever posted here are complaints about various repair dudes. Which is true.

I know reading is difficult, especially when your eyes are all bugged out from hypertension, but if you take a second and relax and breath, you might manage to keep your heart from exploding before you hit 57.

donkeypunch
mustard tiger

Postby donkeypunch » August 18th, 2015, 2:50pm

yellow ed wrote:Nobody cares that you're 56. Nobody called you a liar. I don't know any of the repair guys in the area.

What I said, is the only things that you have ever posted here are complaints about various repair dudes. Which is true.

I know reading is difficult, especially when your eyes are all bugged out from hypertension, but if you take a second and relax and breath, you might manage to keep your heart from exploding before you hit 57.

you're still an asshole and we can both agree Seven is a moran.
"I've been told this and it's been proven by research - He who fucks Nuns will later join the Church"

So Sweet
really needs to get a life

Postby So Sweet » August 18th, 2015, 3:03pm

Fuck off genius and stop breathing his internet air.

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Postby sevenyearsdown » August 18th, 2015, 3:17pm

donkeypunch wrote:
yellow ed wrote:Nobody cares that you're 56. Nobody called you a liar. I don't know any of the repair guys in the area.

you're still an asshole and we can both agree Seven is a moran.

You say moran, I say moron?

Return to “Guitar and Bass Forum”