Fellow Low Enders - Lend me Your Ears, if you'd please...

Talk about everything related to guitar and bass.

Moderators: guitarmartin416, Admin Team

Which sound did you prefer

Poll ended at March 23rd, 2008, 12:54pm

 
Total votes: 0

User avatar
BuffaloBass
Senior Member
Posts: 1326
Joined: September 6th, 2005, 5:20pm

Fellow Low Enders - Lend me Your Ears, if you'd please...

Postby BuffaloBass » March 3rd, 2008, 12:54pm

Curious to see what you all think of the new pickups in a Lakland JoBo 5.

Lakland JO5 oem


Lakland JO5 mod

The recording level was slightly lower for the modd'd pups. Defeintly less " old skool" and more modern, but that why I posted this.

What do your ears here?

Its a bad mpeg example, since all I had from the old setup was a thumbing excersize for a slap bass course. But its a A/B.

THNX for listening. !

BTW, this is all passive, no more than plugging the bass into my sound card.

User avatar
BillisCool
ninja looter
Posts: 268
Joined: February 16th, 2002, 8:00pm
Location: Too close to Merlins!
Contact:

Postby BillisCool » March 3rd, 2008, 2:50pm

I like the OEM pickups much better...

The new ones seem mid scooped... and while that'd be cool for slappin' all night... It would suck for someone like me that needs a burping finger style tone.

You asked. :)
2 time BMA nominee (2004,2007)
http://www.ericspahrband.com

User avatar
Patrick
CODE NAME: AIRWOLF
Posts: 1251
Joined: August 8th, 2002, 8:00pm
Location: Northtowns
Contact:

Postby Patrick » March 3rd, 2008, 3:41pm

OEM FTW!

User avatar
BuffaloBass
Senior Member
Posts: 1326
Joined: September 6th, 2005, 5:20pm

Postby BuffaloBass » March 3rd, 2008, 4:49pm

Cool! Naw, I think Lakland NAILED the vintage tone. I didnt have an mpeg of it, but it actually "clipped" if you really dug in hard, like some old nasty 60's pickup. Pretty cool. But I have mothballed them, I dig the more balanced sound. I think the "scoop" you;re hearing is actually the oems being heavy in the low mids, where they start woprking. Whereas the Aeros are deeper, but not as mid heavy.

Plus, I dropped the action a freckle more, so that defintely gets it to a more "Marcus Miller" slappy dappy sound. In fact, thses Aeros are so articualte, I'm raising it back up for a cleaner sound. They do voice fret buzz more than stockers.

But, off-the-shelf, the Skyline is much more vintage like than a new American J. imho.

User avatar
ossie
the Tommy Lee of Buffalo rock.
Posts: 1974
Joined: December 3rd, 2002, 8:00pm
Location: Burnin Diesel, Burnin Dinosaur Bones
Contact:

Postby ossie » March 3rd, 2008, 6:10pm

I like the first one to. Nice sound maing!
Twitter ossiepunch

chrisp2u
Senior Member
Posts: 1282
Joined: December 14th, 2005, 2:03pm
Location: B-lo

Postby chrisp2u » March 3rd, 2008, 6:14pm

The OEM's sound pretty good and a bit more balanced overall to me. I'm pretty used to the aero sound though having them in my DJ5. I was actually dismayed this weekend to discover that the low B-poles of my bridge pickup have seemingly gone microphonic. Is it possible for only part of a pickup to become microphonic? I always thought it was all or nothing.

How much would you want for those Chisonics?
---
c

User avatar
BuffaloBass
Senior Member
Posts: 1326
Joined: September 6th, 2005, 5:20pm

Postby BuffaloBass » March 3rd, 2008, 11:33pm

Chrisp, its a Skyline, and didnt come with Chi-Sonics. I'm keeping the stock pups though.

Gotta get rid of the "hands off" buzz. Man! Put a beefier bridge ground in, and it still buzzes.

Microphonic? I;ve heard of it, but dont know what that means. ANd how can a magnet all of sudden do that?

User avatar
BuffaloBass
Senior Member
Posts: 1326
Joined: September 6th, 2005, 5:20pm

Postby BuffaloBass » March 4th, 2008, 10:54am

BTW, what you guys cant hear, is that now w Aeros, the little Fender BXR35 I sue at home is rattling plates, etc at very low volume. Low end response on tehse is AWESOME.

Crisp, I would sent that pup to Larry @ Aero. He's helping me chase a ground buzz issue that has NOTHIGN to do with his pups at all. His service is excellent.

Which AEROs does the DJ use? I'm using the heavy alinco ones.

User avatar
BillisCool
ninja looter
Posts: 268
Joined: February 16th, 2002, 8:00pm
Location: Too close to Merlins!
Contact:

Postby BillisCool » March 4th, 2008, 12:12pm

BuffaloBass wrote:Gotta get rid of the "hands off" buzz. Man! Put a beefier bridge ground in, and it still buzzes.


Are the cavities shielded?

Lay the bass on top of a large sheet of tinfoil and roll the end over to touch the bridge. If the buzz goes away... shield it up!

Also... check the resistance between the ground points... should be small or nothing. .0-----
2 time BMA nominee (2004,2007)

http://www.ericspahrband.com

chrisp2u
Senior Member
Posts: 1282
Joined: December 14th, 2005, 2:03pm
Location: B-lo

Postby chrisp2u » March 4th, 2008, 3:07pm

BuffaloBass wrote:Which AEROs does the DJ use? I'm using the heavy alinco ones.


I have no idea... it's whatever comes stock on it... I have yet to really investigate. Perhaps I'll drop Larry a mail.
---
c

User avatar
BuffaloBass
Senior Member
Posts: 1326
Joined: September 6th, 2005, 5:20pm

Postby BuffaloBass » March 6th, 2008, 1:52pm

Bill it was the jack. Effing new bass and I put a $4 switchcraft in and shazzam. WTF?

I sheilded it, put a frickin automotive grade cable in for the bridge ground etc.

I am really anal about white nosie though. Too many years of listening to Phil Lesh and Greg Lake and reading about their intricate setups in Guitar Player ( before bass player come around)

And must say, my active jazz was quiet as air, even with 300 w at the ready.

Crisp, I;m undecided on the oem pups, the Aeros give me the sound I want ( 100% bridge/50%neck/50% tone).

That hollow, "woody" vintage sound is just not for me. Although I did dig on its vibe for a while, adn even played out like that thinking the mids would help live. ( I sometimes boost the mids for live shows). Worst live sound I've ever had.

Rethinking it crisp2u, maybe I will off the Lakland pups. Is yours a US? these apparently wont fit. Was goign to keep them around in case I ever sold the bass, since , as you see, most of y'all prefer the low mid heavy vintage sound. 4.10" 3.95" and I reused the covers.

But call Larry. That guy is a friggin' genius and very cool. I know he has some Lakkie j pups in stock.

NO dont call. I just got my phone bill. Calls to Hawaii are EXPENSIVE!

BTW, his wiring diagram was very very different from the oem setup. I didnt just undo one set of pups and put the next in. I had to redo much of the wiring. Better tone control now, less buzz when the pups are unbalanced.

If you email Larry, tell 'em Gene says hi. And thank him for helping me correct Lakland's problem!

User avatar
BuffaloBass
Senior Member
Posts: 1326
Joined: September 6th, 2005, 5:20pm

Postby BuffaloBass » March 6th, 2008, 2:03pm

Who voted for the Aeros? THat wasnt me!

I might put one more mpeg up there now that I've locked the sound down.

chrisp2u
Senior Member
Posts: 1282
Joined: December 14th, 2005, 2:03pm
Location: B-lo

Postby chrisp2u » March 6th, 2008, 6:38pm

I thought the only way to go with a j-bass was all knobs 100%? :D Actually, since they are single coils in there, I tend to get some EMF interfernce depending on where I'm playing unless the volumes are matched between pickups... then it's dead quiet.

I have an email in to Larry... waiting to hear back. I like the aeros... other than the microphonic thing I seem to be experiencing. They get pretty fat sounding but maintain that nice j-bass growl pretty well.

The bass is a Skyline DJ5... they weren't doing the US versions yet. I got it just over 2 years ago.
---
c

BuffaloBass wrote:Bill it was the jack. Effing new bass and I put a $4 switchcraft in and shazzam. WTF?

I sheilded it, put a frickin automotive grade cable in for the bridge ground etc.

I am really anal about white nosie though. Too many years of listening to Phil Lesh and Greg Lake and reading about their intricate setups in Guitar Player ( before bass player come around)

And must say, my active jazz was quiet as air, even with 300 w at the ready.

Crisp, I;m undecided on the oem pups, the Aeros give me the sound I want ( 100% bridge/50%neck/50% tone).

That hollow, "woody" vintage sound is just not for me. Although I did dig on its vibe for a while, adn even played out like that thinking the mids would help live. ( I sometimes boost the mids for live shows). Worst live sound I've ever had.

Rethinking it crisp2u, maybe I will off the Lakland pups. Is yours a US? these apparently wont fit. Was goign to keep them around in case I ever sold the bass, since , as you see, most of y'all prefer the low mid heavy vintage sound. 4.10" 3.95" and I reused the covers.

But call Larry. That guy is a friggin' genius and very cool. I know he has some Lakkie j pups in stock.

NO dont call. I just got my phone bill. Calls to Hawaii are EXPENSIVE!

BTW, his wiring diagram was very very different from the oem setup. I didnt just undo one set of pups and put the next in. I had to redo much of the wiring. Better tone control now, less buzz when the pups are unbalanced.

If you email Larry, tell 'em Gene says hi. And thank him for helping me correct Lakland's problem!

User avatar
BuffaloBass
Senior Member
Posts: 1326
Joined: September 6th, 2005, 5:20pm

Postby BuffaloBass » March 6th, 2008, 10:51pm

Well let me know. All I know is that the stock pups didnt sound like THIS!


Return to “Guitar and Bass Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
(function() { var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true; ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js'; var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s); })();